3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

career with 3d animation

Posted: October 14, 2009
rajprasad
Hi all,

Am newbie to 3D Animation. Am very much interested in animation career. I have learnt 3D Animation to some extent through online tutorials and through some friends.

I dont know how to proceed further and what all 3d animator should know to start job hunting. Please guide me through this.

Thanks to all,
Raj Prasad
Posted: October 15, 2009
bainchod
hi guys

If one is going to enter into a career then it is a wise move to learn everything about the industry they are about to enter. All too often individuals will sign into an extensive training program and two things end up happening. The first is half way through the training they decide they do not like it or two they break into the job market and find out they are not doing what they were actually trained to do. Both of these disappointments may have been avoided with the proper research.

Apparently this is something that happens quite often in the animation industry. Aspiring animators have a love for doing animation and proceed to do in depth studies of 3D animation figuring it is the ultimate of the industry. They envision themselves developing such renowned characters like those that took place in Finding Nemo or Shrek 2. After becoming well exposed to the industry they soon find out that they are spending every hour of their working moments on animating characters yet this is what drew them to the industry. Therefore, in summary if this was or is your ultimate goal of getting into this line of work then you needs to determine what a career in 3D animation is.

What you soon will discover is that being as you have chosen 3D you are going to be technically a computer graphics artist. This means you may end up spending more time on lighting, modeling, texturing or perhaps rendering rather than developing characters. So in reality what should be your real job title should you be designated to one of these categories? Let us say you become one of the following...

1. You predominantly set up lighting that pertains to a particular scene for a 3D piece. It will be your job to ensure it is the way it is suppose to look and has the right feel about it. You are then technically a lighting artist.

2. Your job is to make the 3D models that are going to be in the 3D scene. This is a technical assignment where you will have to first design the character in mesh then it proceeds through stages to end up as the finished character. You have now become a 3D Modeler.

3. You spend your days painting and creating the textures that are going to be encasement for the characters. In essence, you are creating the skin so it ends up looking as it was designed to look. You new position is now that of texturing artist.

4. Here is one you may find interesting. You are going to be the person looking after creating the bone system. This is what the animator will use to make the model work as it was meant to. Therefore, you have now become a rigger.

5. You may find being in charge of a rendering farm a little more enlightening as here you will have the responsibility of ensuring each 3D frame image is produced properly by the

6. Last but not least how about the duties of the animator. Do not think that it is going to be a cartoon character. In reality, you may be animating anything that moves like a mechanical action of a motor for example or some movement in the human body such as the heart beating.

So now you know all of the different aspects of the 3D animation industry
Posted: October 22, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
Thank you, bainchod!
These are some great tips.
Welcome to the 3d forums btw Smile
Posted: December 07, 2009
priya
i have done a 3d character model just the base mesh....i dont know how to proceed further
adding muscle details in maya or should i go to z-brush or mudbox
or how to model a cloth
then how to go for texturing
can anyone help me
Posted: January 28, 2010
andrewbell
Thanks for the info I never attended college or uni for animation but over last 2 years have been solidly using cinema 4d, vue, poser and some 3d max... rigging figures and animating them all day is an answer to my dream job Very Happy . Calling people trying to sell them IT is not! .... Do you need to have been to uni to get into an animation job?
Posted: February 18, 2010
DQM
Well, if you havn't found a job, you could start here...
So you know, you will have competition.

We need a clever animated 'Movie Studio Intro' to be featured at the beginning of each film we produce.
You will receive a screen credit in each film your 'Movie Studio Intro' is featured in (and bragging rights).
Also, when we hire our animators, you will be the first person we go to.

If you're interested, the animation should be between five and twenty seconds in length.
1920 X 1080 preferred but, we will accept 1280 X 720.
The company's name, 1964 Motion Pictures, must be prominent at the end of the animation.

We will need this before March 28th, 2010 for our feature film, "Proper Binge".

Here's a little background:
1.We are an Alaska based motion picture production company.
2.Our name, 1964 Motion Pictures, is taken from Alaska's largest earthquake, second largest in the world, that took place on March 28th, 1964.
3.Our company slogan is “Groundbreaking Entertainment”.

If you would like more information or an idea to get you motivated, just ask.
Posted: September 02, 2010
karan22
DQM wrote:
Well, if you havn't found a job, you could start here...
So you know, you will have competition.

We need a clever animated 'Movie Studio Intro' to be featured at the beginning of each film we produce.
You will receive a screen credit in each film your 'Movie Studio Intro' is featured in (and bragging rights).
Also, when we hire our animators, you will be the first person we go to.

If you're interested, the animation should be between five and twenty seconds in length.
1920 X 1080 preferred but, we will accept 1280 X 720.
The company's name, 1964 Motion Pictures, must be prominent at the end of the animation.

We will need this before March 28th, 2010 for our feature film, "Proper Binge".

Here's a little background:
1.We are an Alaska based motion picture production company.
2.Our name, 1964 Motion Pictures, is taken from Alaska's largest earthquake, second largest in the world, that took place on March 28th, 1964.
3.Our company slogan is “Groundbreaking Entertainment”.

If you would like more information or an idea to get you motivated, just ask.

I an animator and looking for a job. I have a demo reel and resume ready. where can i contact you for the same???
Posted: October 06, 2010
Aliza
I mean, i'm not talking about 3d max or Maya, which are for 3d modeling.
I'm looking for a good software which can help me animate my 3d characters. Like...when i want to create a 3d movie which can look smooth and which can allow me to do more effects....

Can anyone help me? Maybe you are working with Pixar, or any other 3d company...
Thanks~
Posted: October 06, 2010
TheArkayProductions
Maya IS the animation software. Movies like Avatar are made with it
Posted: December 08, 2010
PandoraAnimation
Might want to check our site pandoraanimation for animator positions.
and just want to be clear I'm not trying to "spam" the forum as I consider spam to be advertising a non forum related product in which I am not doing.
I just posted a ad in the jobs section and it's waiting for approval.

Michael
Creation Team Leader
Pandora Animation
pandoraanimation
Posted: March 04, 2011
holipop
3ds Max and Maya are the animation tools that are most often used in industry - yes they do modelling etc too but they are the complete package that most companies use. (why pay for lots of separate pieces of software that aren't necessarily compatible when you can buy it all in one)
Posted: March 25, 2011
blues2008
you can try "aurora 3d animation maker", it's a easy 3d title animation tool.
Posted: March 27, 2011
Lis
All You need is good portfolio with lot of test anims. This is only criteria company looking at.