3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Hello everyone, New and asking for some advice for Uni!

Posted: September 24, 2009
stuG
Hello everyone, my name is Stuart and im pretty new to anything 3D to be honest! However, I am very interested in it and want to get better.

I am currently taking a national diploma in Games Development at college and i'm in the second year. We have just started lessons in 3D Modelling and 3D environments with 3DS Max. This is the area of the industry that i want to pursue, the animation and 3D modelling side of the industry (Not especially relating to games but maybe Film or TV).

The advice that i ask of is to do with my art skills. I want to take a course in 3D modelling and Animation in Games at university, but i worry that i do not have the drawing skills to do this! We take one lesson a week in concept art at college but i am worrying that this would not be enough to get me into university. I am trying to persuade the 'rents to pay for an additional night course at my college - AS level Art & Design, but i cannot guarantee the outcome of the situation aha. What I am wondering is, do you have to be an exceptional artist when it comes to pen and paper to pursue a job in this field, or get into university, or can i simply develop the work inside the 3D program?

P.S. I am new to all the 3D modelling tools but i have created a 3D environment, which i will upload a picture of, and we are currently sketching a frontal and side view of our characters which we will import into 3DS Max and transform these into 3D characters.

If anyone can help, thanks in advance Smile
Posted: August 25, 2010
bryan
Hello Stuart! Welcome to the 3d forums! We are so glad to have you here in this forum! Don't hesitate to ask question here about 3D since you are extremely new to the 3D world. Feel free to socialize to make new friends, this forum is filled with open minded, talented artists who are willing to help for the betterment of the 3D community. Just don't be shy and be polite and kind as you are! Also, read the guidelines and follow it, it is posted in every section of this forum! Smile