3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Graphic artist needs recommendations for Mac 3D package.

Posted: August 29, 2009
thisandthat
Hi

Hope I'm posting in the right section here.

I am returning to 3D design after about 8 years break. I'm a graphics professional (Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Illustrator etc).

I used to use Strata Studio 3d, (I also dabbled a bit with Lightwave). I probably didn't use them to the level that most of you pros do. I used to mainly generate models and textures and mess with the various lighting and rendering options, before bringing the results into Photoshop to combine with photography to produce high-end 2D digital artwork.

I'm planning on returning to using a 3D package in a similar way. I don't need strong animation or architectural features, I just need it to be fairly easy to use and to be able to render good quality models and scenes in a format that I can import into Photoshop at a high resolution.

I'm really out of touch with what's out there, but I know that I hated Blender when I played with it. Strata always seemed fairly easy to use way back then, but it's been a long time. Is it really worth $700? What else should I be looking at? Is Cinema 4D still getting rave reviews? I don't need anything as powerful as Maya. Is there anything cheaper worth looking at?

Thanks.
Posted: August 29, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
I can recommend Modo 401 by Luxology.
There is also cheetah 3d.
Posted: August 30, 2009
thisandthat
Thanks Andyba.

Cheetah 3D looks to be in my price range. But I've just had a bit of a play with the demo and I find it very unintuitive to use. I'm sure this is just my unfamiliarity with the interface.

Modo looks very interesting, although costs more than Strata.

I've just had a quick play the Strata demo and it is soooo much easier to get to grips with. Sure, I had a bit of experience with it years ago. But you simply click on points and edit shapes 'live'. It's as easy as Illustrator. All the other 3D apps I try seem to make this process so convoluted. You click on shapes and points and nothing happens.

But I'll check them out in more detail and perhaps let you know which I go for.

Thanks for your help.
Posted: September 04, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
In most 3d application you have to choose a specific tool to manipulate points, polygons and edges.

In some applications like 3ds max you even have to enter a specific modifier like edit poly or edit mesh and then choose a sub object like point or edge or polygon that can be manipulated.