3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Need Quick help with 3ds Max Problem - Material Problems?

Posted: July 27, 2009
killster17
Ok so i made most of the textures for my model, i made them following the UVW Map i made in the Unwrap UVW Modifier. (I used cylindrical if you need to know that). but, when im puting the texture onto the selection i have (like i use multi-sub object, so i click so select the tail and it does, or select the head, etc) when i put the texture on it looks fine. but when i leave the UVW Modifier to go click on Polygon in the Editable Polygon Modifier the texture turns all black, and it stays like that, even when rendered out. in the Material Editor it says that those parts (tail, head, etc) are using the texture i gave them, but its just not showing up to me.

Because of the fact that im just not that great at explaining... here are some pictures that should show you more:

Notice the head and tail are completely black.

Rendered View

This is what comes up whenever i click from Unwrap UVW and go to Editable Poly. (it also comes up for the other modifiers)

if you need to know, im using
Autodesk 3ds Max 2009 - Display: Direct 3d

And i HAVE TO SAY! This is the Most Stupid Forum ive ever used. How can you stop people from using links?? thats soo stupid and anoying.... its rediculous...
Posted: July 28, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
After you set up the UV mapping collapse the modifier then you can edit the polygons again without removing the UVs. Or you can turn the model to editable poly, it will collapse all the modifiers this way.
Posted: August 04, 2009
dTb
When you select a polygon bellow the UVW modifier the UV is either removed or applied only to the polygon you selected. If you want to continue editing your object just add an edit poly modifier above the UVW modifier.
Posted: August 06, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
Just edited your message so that it shows images.
BTW new users can upload images..

I noticed that you used the Unwrap UVW modifier above the symmetry and mesh smooth. I would use it just before the symmetry. This way you will have to work only with a half of the model and you will be able to collapse the UV without affecting the symmetry and mesh smooth modifiers.