3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Will oled technology replace LCD monitors?

Posted: April 11, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
Most of you have read about the new organic light emitting diodes technology? How it has better contrast and colors than LCD. The only drawback OLED technology has is it's life time. But scientiest are working hard on this problem and companies like Sony and Samsung are already releasing ultra thin monitors base on OLED technology.
The ultimate question is, is it going to replace the LCD technology and if yes when it is going to happen?
Posted: July 15, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
As usual the money that drive the scientific progress are also stopping it Smile
Posted: April 15, 2010
PixelOz
Yes that does happen but anyway I think that eventually OLED technology could surpass LCD and at the long run I think that it will also be much cheaper.

It also has applications other than replacing LCD desktop monitors. This maybe later on the display technology that finally brings high quality VR head displays into the mainstream. Let's hope that it matures enough and that head tracking also matures enough so together they can finally bring high quality affordable stereo Virtual Reality goggles to the mainstream.

Another important aspect is that those plastic OLEDs could replace the glass based LCDs in portable devices and now that we can also use electronic based memory for permanent storage instead of mechanical disks this could bring devices that are far more resistant to impact, perhaps stronger laptops or stronger IPads that do not break as easily when dropped accidentally.

And yet another possible use could be in augmented reality displays due to the semi-transparent variants of the technology. The future of this technology could be very interesting indeed, will see. Smile
Posted: April 15, 2010
DJ
Actually the mobile devices are already using OLEDs.
Posted: April 16, 2010
PixelOz
Yes many already are but I wonder if in the near future we will have larger plastic OLEDs that will make portable computers much more resistant to impact than they are now.

At the moment there are too many fragile portable computers that would sustain considerable damage if they slip to the floor accidentally, particularly in the display and it would be nice to have a lightweight PC that would remain virtually undamaged in such instances.

I think that we could have a computer in the near future similar to an IPad that if dropped to the floor would sustain no more damage than let's say a school notebook or a magazine. I think it may be very possible in the future to have something like that, wouldn't that be cool?