3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Assistance in Starting a 3D Project

Posted: January 17, 2009
KillAWatt
I've always been interested about creating my own 3D cinematic video, and its always been something Ive wanted to do. However, I've just never knew what the process is for doing so. You know for instance you see a cinematic trailer for a game, although you can obviously tell its not actual gameplay as the scene is a prerenderd video? That's what im looking to create. Although I just don't know how to go through with it.

I do have some 3D modelling experience, although the only prgram I'm totally familiar with is Maya and just basic modelling. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how these computer generated videos are created? I would greatly appreciate it seeing as Im looking to start up a project on this.
Posted: January 20, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
First you need a good script for your movie.
Then a story board then an animatic (very simple animation with lighting and primitive models) to get a basic feeling for the movie. When you are happy with this you can start adding details.
Modeling and texturing and rigging high detailed characters.
Adding detail to your animation. Adding nice backgrounds and environment.
It is a good idea to render everything in layers then composite it in Adobe After Effects or other compositing program. This way you have much more control other your final result.
Posted: January 23, 2009
KillAWatt
But what kind of programs would I need to use? For instance to create a detailed background environments? Like I siad I know how to use Maya, and create 3D objects, but how about camera transitions and integrating characters within an environment. I'm just totally lost on where and how to start. I mean, I already do have a script planned out for my scene, its just that I don't know where to start from.
Posted: January 25, 2009
3d artist gallery Andyba
Quote:
Camera transitions

I personally use Adobe After Effects for this kind of work.
For creating environment objects you can use MAYA, and Photoshop for backgrounds.

To create backgrounds in photoshop you start with a photo that more or less suits your needs and edit it. Change colors, add or remove details etc.
Than you can add this photo as a background in Maya.

Quote:
integrating characters within an environment.

If you have a filmed movie in which you need to add 3d characters, you can track the movie in MAYA. Here is a video tutorial on how to do it:

After tracking in Maya render the characters separately and then composite them with the filmed background in After Effects. There you can use different effects and filters for proper integration.

For texturing 3d objects use Photoshop and MAYA.
Posted: June 05, 2009
lifangcg
perfect.