3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Softimage Xsi: FG and animation. Help?

Posted: July 09, 2007
Katie Chiesa
hi,

I want to use FG for my animation but it takes so much time to render the whole animation with FG.

So how can I tweak it?

I think this would be OK but I don't know how to do it (I mean HDR environment map)? :

1- Render background (static objects) with FG. Then I make an environment map(?) of

background (probably a HDR image. .MAP format)

2. I create a render pass for animated objects then I apply HDR environment map. So the

scene will be "FG-like".

Is it OK? or different ideas? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
Interesting idea . Could you make it work ?

I used very low settings to get fast rendering for my 1:40 short ''Garden of Love''. But the result is not satisfying :( Here it is :

Garden of Love (http://www.3dluvr.com/onuryeldan/Animation.htm)
Originally posted by sumatra_xsi

hi,

I want to use FG for my animation but it takes so much time to render the whole animation with FG.

All your ideas will work. One that you might also consider is using Rendermap to generate textures with the FG "baked" into them. Assign your objects constant materials and put the "baked" textures in place of the old textures. This will make your scene look just like it's rendered with FG, but since it's not, it will render much faster.

P.S. are you using XSI 2.0 or 1.5? If you are using 1.5, I suggest upgrading since it's FG is much faster. (because of mental ray 3.0)
Posted: July 12, 2007
PolyGru
Hi Ed ,

I could not figure out how to bake texture for every object in the scene and then put them back onto each object. Is this technic same with the option '' FG > Rebuild = off '' in the rendering menu of XSI 2.0 ?
Hi, thanks for your replies. I use XSI2.0.1

OK, could you please tell me how:

1. To create a render map

or

2. HDR Environment map of background

both ways are almost the same but unfortunately I don't know how to do both of them.

thanks again