3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Afro Modeling

Posted: February 23, 2012
lestaylor
I am in the process of modeling a new character and have to ask this question. What is the best way to create an Afro. Right now, I am thinking about just modeling the base shape of how everything will look, and then applying Maya fur to the necessary faces. I also wanted to note that this will be an animated character as well.

I have attached an image of the style haircut I am going for and thanks for any advice/help.

black-teen-with-afro-suffering-from.jpg
Posted: February 24, 2012
baalnazzar
If this is static model than some fur system would be best solution I think. If this will be animated character then there are several methods to do that.
Posted: February 24, 2012
lestaylor
baalnazzar wrote:
If this is static model than some fur system would be best solution I think. If this will be animated character then there are several methods to do that.

Thanks for your reply. This will be an animated model for sure. What other options do I have other than Maya Fur? I would like for it to be somewhat realistic.
Posted: February 25, 2012
baalnazzar
Let me know if your character's head will be ever close to camera or not. It's just a matter of optimisation and avoiding unnecessary work if not needed. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and choosing depends on situation. If his head won't be close to camera you may even model it, texture it, give some displace and then rig it to bone to make it move during character's movement. So just let me know and I'll help as I can Smile
Posted: February 25, 2012
lestaylor
baalnazzar wrote:
Let me know if your character's head will be ever close to camera or not. It's just a matter of optimisation and avoiding unnecessary work if not needed. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages and choosing depends on situation. If his head won't be close to camera you may even model it, texture it, give some displace and then rig it to bone to make it move during character's movement. So just let me know and I'll help as I can Smile

Thanks for your help with this.
Yes, I would think that at some point there would be a few up close shots of his hair. It does not have to be the absolute best quality, but very believable.

So I guess what options I have are:
1) Model and texture the afro and rig with head all together
2) Use May fur on a modeled afro
3) Use some type of paint system

Is this correct?
Posted: February 27, 2012
baalnazzar
There is less solutions for close shots. It's always harder to optimize it Wink Simple modeling and texturing or painting won't work for close shots. Probabely best solution would be point 2. Use fur on a modeled afro. But before you start it would be good to make some tests on simple sphere to find out how long hair you'll need to get good enough look. Then you'll model as much afro as you need and put some hair there.
I use max so I had to use plugins for such things but Maya hair works really fine if I remember correctly Wink
Posted: February 27, 2012
lestaylor
baalnazzar wrote:
There is less solutions for close shots. It's always harder to optimize it Wink Simple modeling and texturing or painting won't work for close shots. Probabely best solution would be point 2. Use fur on a modeled afro. But before you start it would be good to make some tests on simple sphere to find out how long hair you'll need to get good enough look. Then you'll model as much afro as you need and put some hair there.
I use max so I had to use plugins for such things but Maya hair works really fine if I remember correctly Wink

I took your advice and started to model the afro onto the head. Major topology re-work, but im glad I took your advice. I think I am going to use maya fur just like you described too. Thanks again!