3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Looking for "Splatter" Texturing software

Posted: January 20, 2012
pete1450
Just need to know if it exists------
I've been looking around for the longest time and can't find what I'm looking for so as the first modeling/texturing forum I found, I hope someone can help. I'm looking for a piece of software in which I could like up a model with an image and map the pixels to the polygons behind them. Any part of the model not covered by image would receive no texture, and any part of the image with no model behind it would be applied to nothing. The idea being to take pictures of complex objects from multiple angles and apply them to a model without having to trim unwanted parts from the picture. Ideally this would be able to be done multiple times from different angles so the textures would blend together.

For example: Take a simple square house model. If I had taken a picture 45 degrees off a head-on view, I'd be able to see 2 sides. The problem would be that there would be grass and sky in the image. I could then rotate my model to match the angle I took the picture, and because there is no model behind the sky or grass, they would not be applied to anything.

It seems like such software has to exist but I can't find it. Any ideas?
Posted: November 10, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
You can use various UV projection planes and bake the texture to an unwrapped UV channel.
Or you can use mudbox which has stencils projection and paint just the elements you need.

Here is a mudbox tutorial: