3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Texturing/Modeling in movies.

Posted: December 19, 2011
Mane
I have no idea how to construct this questions, but i hope you will understand, and give me advice.

I want to be 3D modeler or/and texture artist for features films. Does the 3D models need to be in triangles like in games? or they are in quads?
What does 3D software is most used for modeling in games? Maya/Zbrush, Maya/Mudbox, Max/Zbrush?

What about texturing? How is best approach to texture models for movies? in Photoshop, or in 3D program like Mari?

What about baking, and maps, which maps should i learn and use for the texturing process?
normal map, displacement map, or others?

At second thought, i would like to focus on modeling, hard surface, non-organics(not yet) for environment. Is this worth it, just to be modeler for movies?
Posted: December 20, 2011
baalnazzar
If we are talking about modeling and texturing only then you can actually use any soft that will be most comfortable for you. People who will use your object shouldn't bother what soft did you use. They just need proper model and texture. It doesn't matter what you will use.

If you'll use Zbrush there won't be any problem with baking any map. It bakes whole maps with simple one click.

It's always worth to do anything for movies if you'll find such job Smile
Posted: February 08, 2012
jgironmedia
Agree with the post above. You can use any software, but there are industry standards for everything. So depending on what you would like to focus on, that's what I would try and learn. 3DX Max is industry standard for video games, and Maya is usually for films. That doesn't mean you can't do film on 3DX Max and vice verse, but that's just how it is.
Posted: February 29, 2012
amile duan
Actually any software you feel comfortable to use is OK,include Maya,Zbrush,Mudbox,and Max.
Zbrush is the most useful soft to bake any map,I think.