3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Animating RTS model(s)

Posted: September 22, 2008
juniorguy
Ok, I have some really basic and stupid questions. In being honest, I am not a modeler, I am asking these questions to get a better handle on the work to be done, and to get a handle on the whole process from a lead standpoint.

I want to stress that I am not asking for any specifics, I am talking from a strictly high level.

So, my team is creating an RTS. We have contracted some modelers to take our designs and create models, animations and skin them.

So, check here
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/761534/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-battle-for-middle-earth-2/videos/BFMEII_022406_01.html

at about 1:45 into the video, an Olephaunt comes in hits a group of Dwarves. Each of the dwarves, even though they are all in one unit, goes spilling into different directions. How is this effect achieved?

Again,no specifics, strictly high level. Like, would an artist create one model with different animations and then a programmer would instance that one model ten times, or would the artist actually create the whole ten units and that whole thing would really be part of "one" animation sequence? Am I making any sense? Well, thanks for even looking.
Posted: February 12, 2009
Ted
Doing that using the individual model/animation method and instancing it would work the best (in my opinion). If it were all one animation you would have less control over the direction that the dwarves fly and it could look unusual if they fly in the wrong direction. It would also be strange if the Olephaunt barely hits the edge of the group, but all 10 guys go flying. I think instancing would be much more flexable for you.