3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Modeling Forum

Everything about 3D modeling. Polygons, Nurbs, Splines, Subdivision Surfaces etc.
Autodesk: Maya,Softimage,Mudbox,3ds max
Hi guys, Thanks for making this forum available, I'm from South Africa and the backup and support we have here for 3D art is none existing to say the least. Hope I can get some creative and ...
last post on January 05, 2011 - by Vortexx
Need advice to create a wireframe graphic of crumpled paper
Hi, I'm working on a project and need advice. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to create a wireframe graphic of crumpled paper. I don't need shading, just the line work that defines the ridges, ...
last post on December 29, 2010 - by Hellohello
Dissapeared moving arrows in 3ds max 9.
Hi, I have some real serious problem in 3ds max 9 - when i pick move tool, my moving arrows arent showing up! I tried to reinstall max, but nothing has been changed. People in other forums suggested ...
last post on December 14, 2010 - by baalnazzar
Request for "Bit" from a non-modeller
Hi, I'd like to know if anyone could make an animated Bit (the little Bit from the movie Tron, you know the one who says "Yes" and "No" while morphing). I really don't know ...
last post on December 09, 2010 - by SomeFrenchDude
Facebook Page for 3D professionals and enthusiastics
Hello everybody! Check out the page 'weseetheworldin3d' at facebook for more info regarding 3d animation and various sorts of curiosities! The main goal is to have one facebook page where we can ...
last post on December 03, 2010 - by Nuria
Modeling software compatibility...
Hi, I've got a general question for the forums: How compatible are models made by Blender vs. those made through Maya? Can you copy work from one to the other, are there tremendous problems, ...
last post on December 02, 2010 - by baalnazzar
Anime style 3d poseable character, how?
I don't really know anything about 3d modelling. I am willing to learn though. I need to be able to create an anime styled 3d model that can later easily be posed in some program. I don't care ...
last post on November 26, 2010 - by Someone random
3d modelling software supporting RIB format
Hello all, can anyone help me? I'm searching for a nice (OpenSource prefered) 3d modeller that works good with Pixie renderer. Can anybody to give me an advise what software to use? thank you ...
last post on November 24, 2010 - by Andrey
Help with making glass clear in 3D Max
Any suggestions for the easiest way to make a glass clear?? ...
last post on November 16, 2010 - by TrueCowgirl27
School to Gamedesign and development
Hello Everyone, I am 15 years old and i'm learning 3ds max, maya and zbrush (and mudbox but i don't like it that much) and i want to have a career in the game-business. I have to choose my ...
3d modeling college
Hi, IM looking for a college thats basically teaches how to model from the ground up. I really dont want to take other classes like math or english unless needed. Also do you need hand drawing skills ...
What program should I use?
I have these ideas that pop into my head that I try to put on paper, but I can't draw that well so I would like to use a 3D modeling Program to make it easier. I come up with ideas for ...
Starting 3D animation, and where to begin?
Hello everyone, I have just decided that I would really love to animate 3D models and construct animations on my computer! This really sounds like a daunting task, and I'm sure it involves ...
last post on November 13, 2010 - by patricia3d
UV unwrapping problem
Hi, I'm currently creating an AKs 74U model for gaming purposes and I've come across a problem that needs to be overcome. You see I want to animate the clip moving upon reloading and also the bolt ...
last post on November 12, 2010 - by patricia3d
Fre tool for modelling furniture
Hello, can you please recommend me a free tool for modelling furniture items? I am to model existing wooden furniture, so it should be accurate. Also if you can recommend good ...
last post on October 31, 2010 - by gramark
Deforming object with spline and skin modifier- question
I have elongated object and I want to deform it (bend) using spine and skin modifier applied to object. And that's easy but when I delete spline, this object goes back to the original shape. How to ...
last post on October 27, 2010 - by baalnazzar
3ds max freezing issue
Hi, I don’t know if anyone else has had this problems too. But here goes: 3ds max 2010 and 2011 both stops responding or starts to lag a lot whenever I press the play button in the animation ...
last post on October 25, 2010 - by heartscool
Altairmodels down
Hi, does anybody knows what is going on with 3d marketplace site Altairmodels? I have about 350$ of pending royalty there and the site seems to be inaccessible for more than 3 months. Or is it just ...
last post on October 23, 2010 - by sixstorm1
beginner 3D object question ?
What does this data about a 3d object mean ?? Product Specifications Media Type: 3D Models Geometry =Polygonal Polygons =2,204 Vertices = 0 Textures =No ...
last post on October 23, 2010 - by xfiles3D
3DS Max Render Help
This is a discussion on 3DS Max Render Help within the 3D Modeling Forum, Hi people im learning 3ds max atm and just got 2011 and installed vray and autograss when i apply autograss to a plane and ...
last post on October 16, 2010 - by may3d
SubD Car Modelling Tutorial
Hi Guys, I thought you might be interested in my car modelling tutorial. It covers everything from initial ideas through to finished SubD model and includes all the model and scene files. It's Modo ...
last post on October 15, 2010 - by RossM
3d Modeling realistic Hair with polygons
Is anyone willing to share a good way to model hair with polygons? I mean realistic hair. At the moment I have a huge problem, all my character 3d models a bald. :oops: And the results of my ...
last post on October 13, 2010 - by baalnazzar
An unskilled user looking for some pointers 3D Modeling Forum An unskilled user looking for some pointers
Well I'm Greg and I'm not very good with 3DS Max.My first "real" personal project after reading a few tutorials and fiddling with the a few of the tools was a ship but it turned out to be ...
last post on October 07, 2010 - by GregSolidus
Low quality 3d models
Hello, We have created a program able to build 3D models of textured objects , using only a standard computer and webcam name"vi3dim" you can find it in Google. But objects quality not ...
last post on October 06, 2010 - by TheArkayProductions
Need to model blood veins around trees! PLZ HELP
Doing a forest. the trees are already modeled, now i need to model blood veins around the trees and branches. As in big veins splinting into smaller and smaller veins. Any ideas how to do this? Cause ...
15 Tips and Trick for 3Ds Max
Tip 1 Did you know that "architectural materials" and "self illuminated" materials are light emitting (for Mental Ray & Vray) ? If you apply them on a box you will get a ...
[ Poll ] Modelling an Assassin Character .
Hey Guy's I want to make a character in 3DS max . I want to make an Assassin from Assassin's creed . So the question is , which guy you want to see in 3DS max ? Altair Ibn LaAhad , Ezio ...
Modeling a Speaker/woofer from water
Can anyone here create a loudspeaker from water? I am a musician and I my new album will be called "Sounds Like Water" The album will be on I tunes. Domain is : soundslikewater (i am ...
last post on October 03, 2010 - by soundslikewater
Optimized 3D game assets
I am a 3d artist and just before I started, 3d modeling optimized for 3D games. My works are on 3D-source com, my web page. I need feedback and many good ideas from you to know the public needs ...
last post on September 17, 2010 - by ariff13
Which program should I purchase?
I hope this is the correct place to post this. Please let me know if it is not. I apologize ahead of time if i am wrong. The company that I work for is wanting to purchase a 3d program to help ...
3d max model 3D Modeling Forum 3d max model
i am glad to come here. i hope make some friends here.we are a team of working on CG model production in china , i want to share some our works with u. pl give some advice, and if you need some ...
InvisHands, On-demand modeling service software.
Rapidform software provider, INUS Technology, Inc. has released the new product called, “InvisHands”. Visit us and try InvisHands for Free. InvisHands converts 3D scan data into CAD models by ...
last post on September 17, 2010 - by kurtlee
3ds,zbruh,texturing help
I Everyone want to learn more about 3d modelling but i really don't know where to start.I'm the king of noobs in 3ds and zbrush and in texturing i really don't know where to start.Can someone ...
last post on August 30, 2010 - by baalnazzar
3D Modeling
pulse designtech provides 3d modeling and more CAD ...
last post on August 27, 2010 - by pulsedesigntech
Model Request
Hello, i need some models for something im working on.. Id appreciate it if someone could model me Kush, Purple Haze, Skunk, Misty, and Widow weed ...
last post on August 26, 2010 - by Weegeeh
S3d Combined with Modeling/Animation
Hello all.. .. in recent times, a lot more animation and modeling have started to become much more mainstream. It's great and i love it, but with "Stereoscopic 3d" also becoming a huge ...
last post on August 17, 2010 - by 3dDomainNames
3ds Max: shapemerge question
i found this tool.. been playing around with it... prob i got is that when im underpoly tool seems that ring or loop dont work with the hole i made... any way that the hole i carve with it can be use ...
last post on August 12, 2010 - by vinni117
How do people go about creating new importers/exporters?
Hi i mainly model things for gaming purposes (mods) and most of the time by the time i have found the game someone has already created an importer and exporter plugin that can be used with its ...
last post on August 12, 2010 - by vinni117
3dsMax-autocad question
Hi guys any suggestion how to build a house in max with DWG file ? ...
last post on August 03, 2010 - by heartscool
3D MODEL OF OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has a 3d model of OUR LADY OF GUDALUPE. I am working on a project for may church and I could sure use a 3d model of this status. ...
last post on July 28, 2010 - by NEIUSER
3d Coat Review
Anyone working in 3d Coat? How is it in comparison to Zbrush and Mudbox? I know that it is voxel based and has lots of tools. What about the UI, is it user friendly? How smooth is the sculpting ...
last post on July 24, 2010 - by UVlas
Mudbox 2011 new features
Here is a nice video with the new features in Mudbox 2011 Very cool imho! ...
last post on July 24, 2010 - by Andyba
Quads and Subdivision Surfaces
I found a great video about Subdivision Surfaces artifacts when modeling with non quad polygons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_S1INdEmdI Valuable info for beginners ...
last post on July 23, 2010 - by Andyba
need a good anatomically corrected 3d of human heart
Who can direct me or share a model of human hear with vessels and valves, please. Sure it should be free. ...
last post on July 20, 2010 - by Andyba
beards
i need help modeling a beard for Papa Smurf that looks like the cartoon. I don't want to use Maya Fur though. Any suggestions? The Smurf is one big poly ...
last post on July 13, 2010 - by fatmoshe
2d or 3d program for this illustration type? 3D Modeling Forum 2d or 3d program for this illustration type?
I'm an illustrator who often works in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Usually my projects can be solved using these 2D programs (manually drawing on my desk, scanning and then colouring final image ...
last post on June 26, 2010 - by Andyba
Which do 3D modelers support precise measurement?
Hello folks, I am new to this forum that I was searched for and found. I am looking for a listing of 3D modelers that supports precise measurements like mm, cm, inches, foot, etc instead of ...
last post on June 20, 2010 - by Andyba
Exporting parts of an animated model
Hi! I'm currently developing a game for the PC but I don't have much experience in 3D modelling. I'm using 3dsmax and have an animated model that I want to export only parts of. Like say the head ...
last post on June 11, 2010 - by shakazed
3d object modeling conundrum (help) 3D Modeling Forum 3d object modeling conundrum (help)
Hi, I am a total n00b so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to make something for a project i am working on. I want to make a 3d geometrical model/object (think a web of intertwined ...
last post on June 07, 2010 - by Andyba
Deforming a blended shape to match a different geometry
I am quite a noob in terms of modelling, as a matter of fact I am no artist, my expertise in software engineering and I happen to work with 3D graphics a lot. My problem is as follows: I have ...
last post on June 07, 2010 - by Andyba
Found some animal blueprints
Hi Found some animal blueprints at www.3dmodelsheets.com Site looks new and in it's infancy Here is an ...
last post on May 24, 2010 - by pandaashok71@yahoo.in
maya - blendshapes dont work as i need
hi! i have a head model, i did two blendshapes,one with smile and second one with same smile but bottom lips displaying teeth. if i apply both in whatever order..it wont work as they calculating ...
last post on May 23, 2010 - by cgsramesh
3dMAX model needs to be made solid
I have a 3dMax model that I downloaded of a car that I am trying to use to cut out of a CNC mill. The problem is that the model has many parts and is hollow (the interior of the car is modeled). I ...
last post on May 17, 2010 - by abarret1
obtain z value from xy location in 3d model
hi all, i have a 3d model (any model) (any format - lets say obj). what i want to do is find the z value at particular xy value in the 3d model. my ultimate goal is to establish a relation ...
last post on May 10, 2010 - by verilog
Mechanical Design Advantage for Mechanical 3D Models Design
Get maximum advantage on mechanical design or mechanical 3d models design. We have expert team of mechanical design engineers who create 3D models that adhering to your mechanical drawing standards ...
last post on May 04, 2010 - by mechanicaldesign
Early 3D work I have done 3D Modeling Forum Early 3D work I have done
Any suggestions on what would have made this still frame even better. I know of a few things. this was done roughly 2 years ago when I was first learning ...
last post on May 04, 2010 - by sallanms
Modelling a metal grain container
Hallo guys, I have a concern and I`m looking for some help. I have to model a 3D metal grain container (in farms for storing corn and grain), but since I have no experience in working with ...
last post on April 30, 2010 - by fankoff
AutodeskInvites
Are you somebody in need of increaseing your skills in 2d/3d design? Autodesk Software is a great way to increase your skills! Would you like any of there software for a cheap price, without ...
last post on April 25, 2010 - by AutodeskInvites
Please Help! Problem with linked objects in 3ds max.
I am working with an AutoCAD 3d model in 3ds MAX. When I assign a material to a selected object (wall) it assigns it to all of the walls in the project. The walls are all listed separately as ...
last post on April 20, 2010 - by Aligrafix
Building a object library
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some help here. Recently I have been getting to spend a lot of time with Maya 2010. I decided to build a library of objects i created in maya, mostly of furniture ...
last post on April 05, 2010 - by mebvis
Looking for CGI Animator - Payment Included
I am looking for a CGI Animator to do some CGI pieces of work for me, yes you will get paid if the work is done proper. What i need is someone who is able to do Halo related CGI shots (Space shots, ...
last post on April 02, 2010 - by Chrisnepts
help with not extruding polygons from a arcade cabinet model
See the pic... bit(.)ly/ctpjKH remove parenthesis... Im modelling an arcade cabinet and i can't get some polygons to extrude in the console part.... ...
last post on March 31, 2010 - by VexBlade
mapping data to 3d model ...what 3d package will do that
I need a software to map real-world data onto a 3D model without sensors? i know that sensors taken the data to make models so i want to use these data directly to model an example of that i ...
last post on March 24, 2010 - by angelita
Contest
" Russkaya Beryoza " trademark and "Ithaka - Architecture and design" studio announce competition on design of an interior item (furniture, accessories, part of interior) made of ...
last post on March 15, 2010 - by Contest
Speed Building plugin?
Most if not all users who have had something to do with 3D model have heard something about SpeedTree and some have even used it. My question is this: is there a program out there that acts like ...
last post on March 11, 2010 - by Ramly
Looking for experienced in 3ds Max or compt software
Need experianced modellers in 3ds max (or compatible software) or TES construction ...
last post on March 11, 2010 - by MATTCSMITH
3d modeling shows your design idea 3D Modeling Forum 3d modeling shows your design idea
This is Lily from Chance Team 3D Rendering Co.,Ltd, our professional team is specialized in designing 3d architecture rendering,3d modeling, animation. You know, building a 3d model is rather ...
last post on March 09, 2010 - by Harry Dsouza
Looking for a 3d modeller for work on a game project
Hello there, i am making a game in Direct x and looking for skilled modeller's todo the art work,if you think you can help you reply in this ...
last post on March 01, 2010 - by Anddos
Modelling grooves on flat surface?!
Hey everyone, This is my first post so i hope im in the right place! :D Basically im trying to box model a golf club iron, ive got the initial shape which was relatively easy to do. But im ...
last post on February 22, 2010 - by Soapstar
where should i sell my models and what should i sell
i am a student who hopes to work in the games design industry. i am competant whith my modeling skills in 3ds max and believe i could make some money from them. however i am not sure where or what to ...
last post on February 17, 2010 - by lol
3ds Max: Patch modeling samples from 3DS Max?
Does anyone know where to find some examples of what can be done with this ...
last post on February 08, 2010 - by CG forums guest
101 Things you didnt know in 3DS Max ...in fact, it's 104 th
Modelling 1. Meshsmooth only the selected faces by un-checking the 'apply to entire mesh' box in the options. 2. If you use Non-uniform scaling (scaling in less than all 3 axes at the same time) ...
last post on February 07, 2010 - by Andyba
Polygons models as assets in games
Hi everyone, I have a question. Why are polygonal models favoured (over NURBS, for instance) as assets in computer games? Can anyone explain for me? ...
last post on February 06, 2010 - by javcj516
Software with the smallest learning curve for a begginer
Hi, I'm looking for software to start 3D modeling with. This will be my first time doing it, so I'd like something with the easiest learning curve for beginners. I am not looking to highly ...
last post on January 20, 2010 - by 0per8r
Inside the model, File types, building models from scratch
This is a two part question: 1) What is the most common/ easiest to use 3D model file format to use within a game? The end product will most likely be programmed in a C family language. (I ...
last post on January 17, 2010 - by AlteredTach
My body is flatlined
been working on making a decent base body (no limbs, but appropriate areas to put them in or build into) but I am having some difficulties trying to figure out the right method. The two methods ...
last post on January 16, 2010 - by Algomorph
Create fog effect?
Hi, I would like to know how to make a fog effect in a background. exemple: A fog hiding a castle. And I use softimage. -Thank you very ...
last post on January 14, 2010 - by TheShaman
Anyone Try 4D Blue?
As far as I know, 4D Blue hasn't been supported for a couple years. I am playing around with it but can't quite get it to render properly. It always renders out as a black object. I was ...
last post on January 13, 2010 - by rayj00
Important Question: transfering mesh data
Is there a way i can transfer the shape of a mesh to another? Like say i would like a shape but i need it to be an exact amount of vertices and no triangle faces. instead of making the whole shape by ...
last post on January 07, 2010 - by Algomorph
Noob Question - Which 3D modeling program?
Hey all. Similar questions to this have been asked, but I think my formulation is unique. I am trying to model some stone walls for architectural models. I need the stone texture to show up in 3D so ...
Working with Layers in Maya 2008
My teacher set my up correctly, but it seems during the course of my work I have gone and messed up what he set up for me. My question is, how I do work on one layer in wire frame mode with ...
Converting from polygonal model to volumetric model
Hi, can someone point me to some code or material on how to automatically convert from polygonal/mesh based representation of a 3D CAD model to a volumetric voxel-based ...
Help with 3d max
Hi, I am new to 3d max and i am unable to apply a simple task. When moving objects about the various axis, most tutorials show a rbg axis guide next to the object. Then a drag and drop allows ...
Modeling a spoon in Rhino
Hello! Does anyone like to earn some easy money by helping me modeling a spoon in Rhino 3d?? we're a couple of desperate girls ...
You know this file?
Hi, I am just trying to mod a game, called Air Traffic Controler 3. I now hav nearly complete knowledge about the data structure, but there is one kind of files which I dont know. The ending is ...
need to find best program for unwrapping or unfolding 3d obj
ok i'm a total newb at everything; i just want a good simple 3d object modelling program that best allows me to unwrap or unfold - not to apply textures for gaming but for cad in making 2d patterns ...
is it faster to use a Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920? 3D Modeling Forum is it faster to use a Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920?
is it faster with intel core i7 to render hair and fur, and render with lightsystems with shadows? im going to buy a new pc. is it faster to use windows 7 or vista? i now uses intel core duo. whats ...
Help designing a unique polygon
Hi guys, I need some expert assistance here. I have taken some anatomical measurements which will form a triangular based pyramid. I have calculated the angles in between each set of 2D triangles. ...
Spaceship builder?
Hello. I've been using anim8or for a while to render spacecraft models with reasonable success, however over the years I am growing weary of the modeling process...especially when starting from ...
making a 3D pair of sneaker
Hi I'm a total nood at this 3d modeling stuff. I need to make a pair of 3d sneakers based on a pair I already have. I've did a good job with the sole using solid edge, but I'm having trouble doing ...
problem in autodesk mudbox 2010
i have this problem when i undo something ive done in mudbox, the texture or the colours on objects goes crazy. whats ...
last post on December 15, 2009 - by monjanse
how make feather fur in 3ds max? 3D Modeling Forum how make feather fur in 3ds max?
i want to use fur realistic feather for bird characters in 3ds max. how do i make fur that looks like feather? is it a plugin og a seperate program i must use that works with 3ds ...
last post on December 14, 2009 - by monjanse
Wings3D- Problems
Hello, im having problems, im begginner, so first i dont know how to make a hole to a surface. If u dont understand what im trying to do, please give ur msn or something if u want, i explain. Second ...
last post on December 12, 2009 - by Andyba
help with pocket cutting and solidworks
When I have holes in a pocket and cut the pocket, solidworks cuts around the holes and leaves a pole standing. Is there a way I can tell Solidworks to cut right over ...
last post on December 12, 2009 - by Andyba
the proper way to aproach a patch model ?
Hi, as i am new here ill just start with a short introduction. I'm a student residing in Belgrade, Serbia. Currently i am attending a course in modeling in Maya at the Chiron school for 3d. at ...
last post on November 25, 2009 - by gnjili
last post on November 23, 2009 - by shocking_lemon
Formula GP2 modeling, rendering and compositing tutorial 3D Modeling Forum Formula GP2 modeling, rendering and compositing tutorial
Hi Guys, I guess this is the right place tell you about my new tutorial. I just finished an article about my previous project, it's about formula GP2 modeling, rendering and compositing tutorial. ...
last post on November 20, 2009 - by gigsmella
How do you get your 3d models made?
If you create designs form prototyping or manufacture, i.e. industrial or product design, then how do you go about getting them made? Fabbers ...
last post on November 19, 2009 - by Zarpelon
last post on November 06, 2009 - by achusambsaivan
Quic 3d generation... SCAN IT....
You can also scan an object to get a 3d STL file them work with it from there... 3DRevEng Vancouver BC Canada google me... ...
last post on November 02, 2009 - by mattmann23