3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Animation Talk

Discuss All aspects of 3D animation, Animation principles and methods, how to prepare a 3D model for animation, where to find character animation references and how to use particle animation for special effects. Talk about Animating shaders, lights and cameras.
3ds Max: You know a good crowd-tutorial... ?!?
...then please tell me where to find it... ...if you have seen the new Warcraft III Trailer, then you know what kind of crowd animation we're planning to do... ...but since I'm just starting to ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
3ds Max: Crowd and its behaviors...
Hi Guys... ...lets say i have a delegate that is searching 2 targets and it should search the nearest of them... ...i know how to query the targets of this seekBehavior but how do I get the ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
3ds Max: My Bipeds won't stop.......
Hi Guys, i've just created my first crowd-animation where 2 bipeds are seeking eachother...when they get close to another, they should stop and look at eachother...when i solve the simulation ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by Natashka1954
Softimage Xsi: Woman's face(first try in XSI)
Guys please go to this forum and tell me what you think... All crits are more than ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by GreenCat
Softimage Xsi: Fading reflections (=3ds max falloff reflecti
Tired of long rendering times because of the Gloss parameters? Tired of noisy results? Tired of not being able to get the effect because you don't know how to write shaders? Well this ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by PiX
Softimage Xsi: Glow and Panoramic Shader help
Hello world! I'm a Softimage XSI 2.0.1 's user and I begin to have my first big mistake. I'm creating an animation for a cyndrical screen and to do this i must render with ...
last post on January 30, 2007 - by Designer
3ds Max: Cult3D for 3DSMAX
Anyone knows how to light an "inside scene" (i mean a closed room) in Cult3D? I tried to set textures in self-illumination in 3DSMAX but it seems that Cult doesn't take care of it... I ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by Sid Conner
3ds Max: How to use Dotxsi in 3dMax
:bounce: Maybe many people have known that 3dmax could export DotXsi file with dotxsi plugin. and i am a softimage user for a long time, work with both softimage|3d and Xsi, but now, i have to ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by broodling
3ds Max: BRAZIL r/s 0.4.53 available!
New release... I have not tried it yet. http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/b_download.php3 ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by Carl Cates
Softimage Xsi: Help Character Setup Orders Urgent!!
I am running into a big trouble on my character now. I have a scene that contains only my character, and the face shapes of my character. After i setup all the parametre for the face. I grap the ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by Katie Chiesa
Softimage Xsi: Volume select script?
Im no proggramer, so be gentle Im trying to set up a vehicle rig. The problem is i cant seem to find a way to setup an object level colission detection. I have a scripting idea, but i need to ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by Reid6754
Softimage Xsi: Online Courses for XSI ?
Hi, I've seen that Mesmer.com and coyote3d.com are offering online courses for learning XSI. I'm thinking of taking one of these courses, but of course I wanna know if these are worth the 500 ...
last post on January 29, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
3ds Max: exploding scatter obj.
i have a scatter object with 2000 elements. i want to explode its diffrent elements but leave the stack (flex, vol. selecet) as it is for each new exploded object. that way each new object will ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by Andyba
3ds Max: Final Renderer
Well I have no idea what is wrong with it. It all worked fine for me till a bit ago, but I don't know what happened. I have final renderer v1.3. When I go to adjust the GI i get an error and it ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: xsi to soft
hai, i am a softimage 3D user, now my entire setup is switching over to XSI. on our current project, we are doing the modeling and texuring stuffs in XSI, but we are going to use ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by dfk
Softimage Xsi: Image crashing
This didn't start happening until recently. Everytime I go to apply an image, wether on an object, or in rotoscope..... At school its fine of course. Has anyone had this problem? Im thinking ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by PolyGru
Softimage Xsi: How to work faster: Use XSI. :)
Here is a nice article about how SOFTIMAGE|XSI increases your productivity. Thanks to Rick Walia over at Digital illusion Studios for writing this one up. ...
last post on January 26, 2007 - by dwp
3ds Max: Hair Tut
Hi All After a about a year away I decided to start up a site again. I have very little content up but, I do have this hair tut on the ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by Natashka1954
3ds Max: Q about illustrate!
My lights doesn't seem to cast any shadows on a cel material, is this possible to fix this? look at this: http://user.tninet.se/~zrz269d/test.avi Where's the shadow? ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: bitmaos and deep paint
I'm trying to paint an object with Deep Paint 3d. I'm having trouble appling a bitmap image. Could someone point me in the right direction. An ordered stack list, and how to create a bitmap ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by AmberPrince
Softimage Xsi: Get rid of the sliding problem
Now I finished the walk cycle but it's really painful. I have to put a lot of keyframes to animate the master puppet to get rid of the sliding between the feet and the floor Everytime I change ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by cord474
Softimage Xsi: shadow map flicker
Hello! When I render an animation of a character I get weird flickering shadows on his face. The shadows is coming from a key light with a shadow map. Shadow map resolution 4096, Samples: ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
Softimage Xsi: Image clip viewer
Is there a way to zoom out of your image clip viewer or even move around the image if you have a picture thats pretty ...
last post on January 25, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
3ds Max: Paul steed's book animating a character
Found this a few minutes ago Animating A Character With 3ds Max Steed, Paul Type : Paperback Uitgever : Wordware Publishing Verschijningsdatum : 01/01/2002 Aantal ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by TzinMaoSui
3ds Max: funny cartoon movie in progress
Hello. Look at the begining of my new cartoon project (DivX 310kb). http://www.3dluvr.com/shmigun/skr.avi What do you think? Thanks. Best regards, Alex ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: max just my tool
if you are the max's useer,you will luckly,i don't konw the MAX what it is ,but i think it is just my tools so if you use the max but don't use your thinking i want to say : the game is ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by Derek
Softimage Xsi: Clusters and parallel processing
As far as i know, Softimage XSI is optimized to exploit SMP. Is this 'out of the box'? My main question however, is this. Will it exploit a cluster without any extra help from me? Or are we talking ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by broodling
Softimage Xsi: Making a Cage think it's a Lattice...kinda
Heya guyz :) Other people have posted similar problems as this, but mines a bit more specific :) Basically using shape animation on a lattice to deform a joint works all well and good. BUT when ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
Softimage Xsi: rgba_matte not working properly
I tried to create an rgba isolation matte. some selected objects in my scene. It still crashes before it begins to render. In themanual it says I have to select the object and then create the pass. ...
last post on January 24, 2007 - by dwp
3ds Max: Display text for dialogue in track bar/
Does anyone know how or if it is possible to display text in the track bar for dialogue? I have a line of dialogue in the Sound track and want to display the actual words along with the wave form ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by Gloski
3ds Max: ugent: problem with IK setup when animating
Dear fellow 3d enthuitast I have set up a bones system for a cartoon character I have modeled for my project. I have used IK on legs, arms and backbone and used helpers for swivels on the ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by Yarlagad
3ds Max: merge animation
When I merge an animation stored in an identically rigged model into another file, the animation merges fine but I get duplicate dummys in offset positions. Seems for some reason it's merging helpers ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by FireWall
Softimage Xsi: SI|3D differences
I've noticed the price drop in Soft.|3D but i haven't seen anything (and I don't even know if this matters anymore) if that is the price for Base or Extreme. I'm assuming Base. But then again, I ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
Softimage Xsi: XSI@mIRC ?
hi there ... Just curious ... Are there any chatrooms related especially to Softimage? does not have to be on IRC of course. So many people in those 3dsmax channels etc. ... there's got to be ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by Alicci
Softimage Xsi: U and surfacel selection
I am trying to select the surface area or uv maps that i imported from lw. surfaces are converted to cluster in xsi but i would like to be able to grab the polys that the uvs or cluster are attached ...
last post on January 23, 2007 - by Rod Sigler
3ds Max: MaxScript question
Hey I just DL'ed Rollin' 1.0 from scriptspot. It calculates the amount of rotation to apply to an object based on the distance it travels (like a wheel/ball rolling). The prob is there is no readme ...
last post on January 22, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
3ds Max: Cluster-O-Matic and Morph-O-Matic
Anyone here ever use Cluster-O-Matic or Morph-O-Matic for facial animation. If so, please reply with your take on the plugin - thumbs up, thumbs ...
last post on January 22, 2007 - by Vertox
3ds Max: GRRRRRR Corruptions GGRRRRRRR
Had to happen didn't it.. a week after saying to a friend that I'd never had it happen to me Max went a corrupted a whole folder of scene files (only 3.. but with the scene having 280 objects enough ...
last post on January 15, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
Softimage Xsi: Nice work!
If you have not seen this yet, you might want to take a look at ...
last post on January 15, 2007 - by Theamxyz
Softimage Xsi: make it planar ?
hi there ... missing out this button :) (i know i sound like maxing) is there a function in XSI to make a selection of points/edges/polygons planar to a specific grid or plane? and if not ...
last post on January 15, 2007 - by Sid Conner
Softimage Xsi: duplicate symetry
I get 'ERROR : " - " when trying to use Edit>Duplicate/Instantiate>Duplicate Symetry in XSI 2.0.3, just tested, works fine in 2.0.2. Get a new cube, move it a bit, ...
last post on January 15, 2007 - by Gina
3ds Max: Reactor cloth question
Hi all, I'm trying to animate a piece of paper a la alladin's magic carpet with reactor's cloth sim. I was hoping there is a way to put something like a dummy object in each corner of the paper and ...
last post on December 28, 2006 - by Charles Smith
Softimage Xsi: mirror weight (again) with 2 symetrical
i guess a lot of ppl will model the way i do. The hands and legs of my character are modeled in different pieces. Here is the problem comes. Once i have the weight set in the right hand, may ...
last post on December 28, 2006 - by DoggyJP
Softimage Xsi: how to apply motion from BVH or Acclaim file
how to apply motion from BVH or Acclaim file to defoult rig or skeleton (like as in jaqua project)? is it requiret aditional ...
last post on December 28, 2006 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: Trajectories
i am looking for a way to display an animated object's trajectory (similar to the way 3dsmax and lightwave does). seems everything in the documentations are based on creating a trajectory out of a ...
last post on December 28, 2006 - by Axan
3ds Max: Additions to rig...
Hi, -- Some additions to the IK- Rig including hands and feet! right-click and save: http://charleslooker.0catch.com/ikrig_withHF.max Eek! p.s Any comments would be ...
last post on December 27, 2006 - by 3dRebel
Softimage Xsi: Linked parameter not updating
Hello people, So I linked parameters of several objects to the rotation of a bone. In this case, it is the local X translation that is linked. Very simple. The problem is that it seems to work ...
last post on December 27, 2006 - by Rod Politoff
Softimage Xsi: Getting rid of the Symetry Mapping Template
okay, i am playing around with Symetry Weight using Template these days to get my character can mirror weight. However, once i have them mirror, i want to edit them individually afterwards. When ...
last post on December 27, 2006 - by Pyata
Softimage Xsi: SoftBody issues
Hi guys When I up the sampling rate of a softbody over 5 it stops any movement it had from being parented to another objects, eg parented to a bone. I naturally have 'use body animation' and ...
last post on December 27, 2006 - by XsiBigot
Softimage Xsi: renderable splines?
ok ... short and easy question ... where can i set curves to be renderable? i hope that is possible and that spline thickness is variable, too. thanks again (btw ... this little tool is ...
last post on December 26, 2006 - by QuaGo
Softimage Xsi: Global Illumination, final settings
Hi people, I am wondering what are good settings for Global Illumination for final output. I followed tutorials, but they use working settings, not final ones. What I'm looking for is just ...
last post on December 26, 2006 - by Fordicio
Softimage Xsi: Toon Help!
I've somehow agreed to have a toon shader ready to render in three hours, and i have never used a toon shader before. How do you adjust the value that defines a line creation. Is it based on the ...
last post on December 26, 2006 - by Vertox
Softimage Xsi: Clips and Softbody
Hi, I've the ears of my character animated with a soft body dynamics and the rest of the body controlled by clips in the mixer. Now the clips aren't mixed and when the animation change from ...
last post on December 25, 2006 - by Etnic Evil
Softimage Xsi: isner spine
heya guys, I'm doing some character animation and looking at using that updated isner spine from : www.isner.com There's 2 variations of the spine on his site - the addon for the proportional ...
last post on December 22, 2006 - by Pusher
3ds Max: Question using layers for animation
Okay, I was wondering if it's possible to load a motion capture file on a layer of its own. I'm trying to create animations for the upper body and lower body, and I'm not sure if I can even save ...
last post on December 21, 2006 - by CC
Softimage Xsi: Frame Padding
does any know were to set frame padding in XSI like you can if maya..... yes I know I can use fcheck but I wanted to know if you could set it before you render in XSI like you can in ...
last post on December 21, 2006 - by DoggyJP
Softimage Xsi: Cartoon Fight
Hi, Does anyone have any suggestions for making a cartoon fight scene in xsi? I am using the toon shader in my animation. I want two characters fighting in a ball of dust, similar to Looney Toons, ...
last post on December 21, 2006 - by drop007
Softimage Xsi: Is there anyone had used DNT for XSI
I found there is no cloud simulation,and where is the Renderworld? This version seems can not export to RenderWorld.:eek: ...
last post on December 20, 2006 - by Kiffy20
Softimage Xsi: upper body rig
ive tried alot of combination none of them seem to work right any suggestions ...
last post on December 20, 2006 - by Natashka1954
Softimage Xsi: Adding shape source kills envelope??
I've generated some shape souces for facial animation and enveloped my character. As I tried to put a shape source into the mixer with the envelopeOperator active, my envelopOperator has been ...
last post on December 19, 2006 - by Murat
Softimage Xsi: Multiple rig and skeleton on the same model ?
Hi, I would like to know how I can put 2 skeletons (and rig) on the same model, but activate only one at a time (and if it's possible). So I can import the character in different scenes and ...
last post on December 19, 2006 - by Max3D
Softimage Xsi: Motion capture special. Free data
Hi All. MOTEK Amsterdam has put online the generic part of STOCKMOVES mocap library for FREE as a special for next month. The databses are mainly generic motions totalling some 5000 sequences.. ...
last post on December 19, 2006 - by euGeniu
Softimage Xsi: Cluster Center
Hello, is there any way to easily move cluster center like pressing INS in Maya? I know, that I can assign a locator as a cluster center, but if this is done, moving of the locator or its center ...
last post on December 18, 2006 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: static cling?
Hi folks me again, does anyone know if static cling is still included in XSI 6 I need that effect and can't find it. Cheers, ...
last post on December 18, 2006 - by PiX
Softimage Xsi: Simulating Cloth, but without using cloth plu
Hello, Anybody know any tutor that can show me how can create object to simulate cloth without using the XSI cloth ...
last post on December 18, 2006 - by drop007
Softimage Xsi: xsi to rib?
are there any FREE (meaning not softman) utilities/plugins out there that can output xsi 5.11 scene files to ...
last post on December 15, 2006 - by Carlos Fillion
Softimage Xsi: Binding a hotkey to transformation modes?
Hi, I was wondering if it is at all possible to set a hot key to the different transformation systems in softimage xsi, for modes such as world\local\view. It is somewhat of a hassle to ...
last post on December 15, 2006 - by Sid Conner
Softimage Xsi: Whats going on. New english version...
I created the eyelids from a sphere and in the sphere property page turned the V start to 90, making an eye lid. I then positioned it over the eyeball and scaled it slightly bigger, then I duplicated ...
last post on December 15, 2006 - by TzinMaoSui
Softimage Xsi: URGENT Nebula with Xsi particle
HI i'm still searching some TUTORIALS or any kind of help to create a very nice NEBULA or DUSTY SPACE CLOUDS in with xsi particles thank you very much ...
last post on December 14, 2006 - by UVlas
Softimage Xsi: Channel in xsi
There is a way to animate with a Mixer Midi in xsi Like Channel in 3.9 My company normally attach the mixer at the shapes with channels and animate with music in real time If there is any ...
last post on December 14, 2006 - by Shawn
Softimage Xsi: Spanish XSI mail List
Salve! Anyone knows any Spanish XSI mailing list around? Thank ...
last post on December 14, 2006 - by Murat
xsi5 : Mirroring shape deformation?
Hi, all. I'm new to XSI so dont lough, please :). Can anyone, please, explain me how to mirror shape deformation (I mean muscle bulging, not facial deformation). I've made bulging (deform with ...
last post on November 18, 2006 - by QuaGo
Realtime 3D Movie
I just want to show some works of our ...
last post on November 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5 : Facerobot
http://www.softimage.com/products/face_robot/game_export/acting_to_game/default.aspx Thats pretty powerful and ...
last post on October 10, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi5 : Wave Op - Controling Spread
Hey guys, Quick question about the Wave Op's Spread value. I want to drive multiple spread values with a custom parameter but I've noticed that after I create the relationship between the param and ...
last post on September 15, 2006 - by Imho
xsi5 : Flipping a pose
In Character-Studio I can select parts of a Biped (or all of it) and copy-paste or copy-mirrorpaste the position onto the other side. So, I can make a walking pose and then mirror the whole ...
last post on September 15, 2006 - by ferroka
xsi5 : Intermediate shapes in xsi
Hello all, I would like to know if you can create intermediate target for one shape to get non linear interpolation, like in 3DsMax ...
last post on September 15, 2006 - by PiX
xsi5 : Replacing weight values
Can I transfer the weight values on one deformer to a new one, basically swapping one out for another? The slider thingy in the weight editor won't really let you just select the old and new ...
last post on September 15, 2006 - by CGrat
xsi5 : Can't Delete Chains
Hello. I'm pretty new to XSI. I tried copying a chain of bones and ended up with a small chain. It has only Root and Bone objects in hierarchy, but I somehow lost the eff (there is no eff in this ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Katie Chiesa
XSI 5 : weird hand spinning when splining
okay, another weird splinning question. when i spline my hand bone (or go to linear), sometimes it twists like crazy on the interpolation. i've seen this in pretty much every program ive used, but i ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by CC
XSI 5 : Mixers in models
Correct me if im worng, but in older versions of XSI weren't we able to just drag the mixer into the model? I haven't done this in a while so i might be doing something wrong. I already have shape ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Kiffy20
XSI 5 : duplicating and rigging hair from curves
Hi everybody, Please help me! I have hair for my model created using guide curves but as they are eybrows and eyelashes I have duplicated them and scaled them in -x. The original hairs can be ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Pusher
xsi5 : unexpected error in SAVE DEFORM KEY
Hey guys, just curious if any one else has had difficulty with this little tool. I can't seem to save any deform keys using the "Link Deform with Orientation" tool. Every time I select the ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Viggo Hoskins
xsi5 : key multiple objects script problems
This is driving me crazy. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, but I can't seem to figure out why. Most of the problems seem to ocucr when I run this over objects that have a key on them ...
last post on September 14, 2006 - by Viggo Hoskins
xsi5 : Reusing facial morphs
Is it possible to start with a generic head that has a set of blinks/phonemes and then reuse the facial morphs when creating new characters from that base head -without having to reshape all the ...
last post on September 13, 2006 - by AmberPrince
xsi5 : Change the PType of Sketched Particles
Hi guys, Long time Maya user trying to make the transition to XSI here. Loving it by the way. Anyway, I'm having a real problem. I'm sketching particles for a couple clouds. I need these two ...
last post on September 13, 2006 - by TanusiaTC
xsi5 : Find parameter being controlled by custom parameter?
I'm trying to figure out how a slider in a custom parameter set is causing some objects to rotate. I've checked all the objects and can't find any expressions or other indications on the objects of ...
last post on September 12, 2006 - by FireWall
XSI 5 : timeline scrubbing
whenever I scrub the timeline XSI tries to play the complete animation when going back and forth a few times. Is there a way to disable that feature, the manual is not very helpfull and I tried ...
last post on September 12, 2006 - by drop007
XSI 5 : cloth simulation problem
i am trying to get a scarf to fly in and wrap around someones neck... i have used cloth on the scarf to get the desired look for it but i want it naturaly falling on the shoulders and round the ...
last post on September 12, 2006 - by Skubbyl
xsi 5: IK to FK
Is there a way to transfer the IK animation into FK.. and then tweak the FK.. My idea is to sketch quickly the animation with IK then transform it to FK and create all the follow through and wip ...
last post on September 02, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi : Elbow snapping
I'm trying to animate the hand of a character with IK. And the hand should often be in a stretched pose.. How do I overcome the elbow snapping ...
last post on September 01, 2006 - by Andyba
xsi 5: Bicep not moving in the IK mode.
My bicep bone in the standard skeleton is not affected by the IK effector when the IK blend mode is set to 1. What is wrong? Only the forearm is moving. I can move the bicep bone only in FK mode. ...
last post on August 18, 2006 - by Sid Conner
Xsi 5: Reset Actor is not working
Reset Actor is not working in xsi.. :( What is wrong? I have worked several hours on my rig and now when I want to go to default pose I can't do it? :( I can see it because when I mute the envelopes ...
last post on August 12, 2006 - by cord474
Xsi 5: Showing motion trajectory in xsi
Is there something like trajectories in 3ds Max in XSI? I'm animating something that needs smooth circular motion and I need to see it in the process. Thank ...
last post on August 11, 2006 - by QuickWeld
MAYA : moving a single particle
hi does anyone have any ideas on how to move eg particleShape1.id to eg 10 in ...
last post on July 23, 2006 - by Bugdishe
xsi5: how to transfer exact camera position
How to transfer exact camera position from one xsi scene to ...
last post on July 17, 2006 - by Andyba
3ds max: Whats the easiest way to bone a human?
Whats the easiest way to bone a human? Ehm... that might not have come out just ...
last post on July 14, 2006 - by AmberPrince
XSI 5: animating an array of objects
Hi, I have an array of objects that I'll use the same animation for all each object with a small delay, to achieve a whip like effect. I'd like to animate the first object and copy the animation to ...
last post on July 12, 2006 - by Ted Town
3ds max: convert bones animation into vertex animation ?
I wanna export an model animation (with bones) for a game .. and i wanna convert bones animation into vertex animation ?? any idea ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by Max3D
3ds max: shortcut for moving up one slot in the stack?
Hm whats the default shortcut for moving up one slot in the ...
last post on July 11, 2006 - by Theamxyz