3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

3D Animation Talk

Discuss All aspects of 3D animation, Animation principles and methods, how to prepare a 3D model for animation, where to find character animation references and how to use particle animation for special effects. Talk about Animating shaders, lights and cameras.
Softimage Xsi: Toon lens not right
I hav applied to a normal grid with two polys cut out a toon material set at defaults and then on the camera a toon lens, but it then puts a line around some of the faces of the grid as well as the ...
last post on June 07, 2007 - by Spade
3ds Max: Feeling Wirey
So my goal is to make an umbrella and I have the model complete. I have the fabric attached to the rods, and the fabric folds properly when I move the rods. I've also wired all the ROD's Y Rotation ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by sperll
3ds Max: cloth simulation
I have a problem with cloth simulation. I need it to make clothes on game model. So i need one object that i can export(no visibility track). This model is animated for some movements. For example ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by Dazdranagon
3ds Max: wire parameters problem in blocks
I made for my rig a big spline rotator that controls with wire parameters the other small rotators of the spine of my character. just like in the rig tutorial now, with this spline rotator my ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
Softimage Xsi: Lighting/association problems
Hi, i'm new to XSI, and this is my first attempt at a short animation. I'm trying to achieve a sharp crisp shadow cast by the ant with an infinite light, and a soft-edged shadow cast by the body of ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by UVlas
Softimage Xsi: toon rendering
I'v got some questions on the toon rendering. First of all is there a way to transform a toon paint and host into a simple toon paint with keeping the properties like colors or texture ??? Then I ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
Softimage Xsi: instances and deformations
I am doing a quick cityscape and need several bridges spanning from one point to another. I did the bridges by modelling one arc and instancing it along the way to keep the scene efficient. I also ...
last post on June 06, 2007 - by Vertox
3ds Max: blocking animation - Step controller
Hi there, I have been trying to block out some animation done with a bones setup in Max 5, and I thought it would be really helpfull to be able to set a step controller temperarily on objects (so ...
last post on June 05, 2007 - by Fordicio
3ds Max: CV Splines
Ok, CV curves are nubrs, but so much way more predictable. So is there a way script etc) to have such tools in edit spline ? Oh yeah, nurbs is nurbs, spline is spline ? humm so anyway to convert a cv ...
last post on June 05, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
Softimage Xsi: Cloth - Folds And Crashing
hi , i am using cloth for my character and the article of clothing has a thickness to it , when i run the simulation the polys crash and overlap each other, anyways to keep them apart? also ...
last post on June 05, 2007 - by Murat
Softimage Xsi: Script (time) warp on clip
Hello! I want to import some data from a selfgenerated file. It would be great if it was possible to do a (time)warp on a clip in the Animation Mixer via scripting. The console doesn't log the ...
last post on June 05, 2007 - by Dazdranagon
3ds Max: Video Post question
I have a little prob when working in video post for 3dsmax 5. The effect is clearly visible when i render but it doesnt show up in the .avi i made. My render queue looks like this: Lens Effects ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by AmberPrince
3ds Max: move and rotate gizmo in one
Dunno if this thread has disappear with the board problems last few days. This sounds promising and usefull (like messiah and maya). Like usual, some don't like it, some would love it. So ? nice ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by Dazdranagon
3ds Max: Maxscript question
I posted this question in the discreet board, and im also trying here just cuz i need the result fairly quick. This is for any maxscript gurus out there! "I was wondering if its possible to ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by QuickWeld
Softimage Xsi: New German XSI Forum
hi. i just opened a german xsi forum with a small contest. www.xsiforum.de cheers ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by GreenCat
Softimage Xsi: Proportional move of texture?
I guess it is easier to explain by example: create a cube with 10 subdivisions of each face, add texture and cylindrical projection, open texture editor, select all the points of the upper ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by Charles Smith
Softimage Xsi: render .mi from maya through XSI
I am currently doing a job for a client that has a render farm. They have offered me the use of their farm and I would love to take advantage of it, but am having some initial problems. I am running ...
last post on June 04, 2007 - by Kiffy20
3ds Max: f-curves refuse to show up
Hi, Has anybody experienced this annoying Max 5 behavior, where no matter what you do you cannot get a track view to show in f-curve mode, even if you select curves from the track bar Mode menu, ...
last post on June 01, 2007 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Lightmapping and/or Luminosity map?
Hi, Ive been searching around for tutorials on how to set up lighmaps/luminosity maps in XSI, but I'm coming up empty handed. I been routing around in the Render Tree for some time and I cant seem to ...
Softimage Xsi: Converting path animation to keyframe
I have an object that is animated along a curve, when i save this, the animation is lost, even though it is still shown in the f curve editor. I cant figure out whats going on, so im thinking that ...
3ds Max: freaky bones
ok, ok, I don't have much experience working with bones...can anybody tell me what is going on here ? I created a couple of bones and moved the pivot points into position (using the 'affect pivot ...
3ds Max: Particle Swirling?
I'm trying to work out a way of localising a particle swirl effect with a space warp in a PCloud. Basically I'm trying to create a PCloud box and swirl the inner particles and leave the outer ...
Softimage Xsi: undo not = undo (skeleton)
cant find that thread to a similiar problem anymore but why is the undo not working properly on bones/ skeletons sometimes? is that an xsi problem only or general in 3d? when you constrained an ...
3ds Max: link constraint
Hi, I'm trying to link two bones. When I link it, the slave automatically takes the coordinates axis of the master bone as reference: how to make it independent ...
Softimage Xsi: Could not load metrics file: fonts.mwd
"fonts.mwd: version mismatch expecting version 15 Could not load metrics file: fonts.mwd" This message comes up in the linux terminal when i run XSI after I change re XSI layout to ...
last post on June 01, 2007 - by Nikollas
Softimage Xsi: particle deformation and motion vectors
hi all. im currently running into an annoying problem when deforming a particle stream along a curve: the velocity vectors tangency is not maintained, therefore no proper motion blur can be computed ...
last post on May 30, 2007 - by UVlas
3ds Max: Incorrect Radiosity solving!
I'm rendering a scene using Radiosity lightning. The problem is in light reflection. A surface should reflect light only when it is illuminated, but in my case it's illuminated even in the shadow ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by Spade
3ds Max: Metaball Plugins Question
Metareyes5 vs Clay studio pro. Does anyone know which is better? And do they both work with Max5? Thanks ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by cord474
3ds Max: Character studio animation
Hi! I'm buliding a model that I want to test to rig in CS. She's got boots on and gloves etc.. they are seperate models and not part of the body itself. What shall I do to link them to the body ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by Pusher
Softimage Xsi: XSI weighting and deforming for a game engine
Im building a game model for Half Life 2 and I am enveloping the finished model to animate. The question I have is that the default pose has its arms out to the sides (horizontal). After I weight ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by ferroka
Softimage Xsi: wind blown papers
I'm trying to make a stack of papers blow off of a desk, swirl around a room and then fly out a window. Does anyone know any good ways to accomplish this or know of any tutorials out there? Is it ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
Softimage Xsi: Avid buys NXN alienbrain
http://www.softimage.com/home/Press/PressReleases/040126_News_NXN.htm seems like lots of potential for alienbrain to be more integrated with XSI. Anyone here used it ...
last post on May 28, 2007 - by Charles Smith
3ds Max: Import > 3DS = glowing verts?
This has been really vexing me. When I'm modeling something, I export it to 3DS for various other uses. One that I've been working on imports with glowing verts. They glow this nasty shade of ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by XsiBigot
3ds Max: Make your thread version specific!
I reiterate to everyone: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=andthreadid=28283 It would really help if you added what version of max you use in either your thread title or your post. Just ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by FireWall
3ds Max: Need help with Character Tool
Hi ! First post ever in these forums ! Well, here is the problem : I animated a walk cyclewith the Character Tool and and when I try to do "insert animation", every time I do it ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by Rod Politoff
Softimage Xsi: auto launching flipbook
Is there any way to make flipbook launch automaticly after render is completed. I mean I want to see the final reslut just like with preview. Why rendering window is closing after render is over? I ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by Vertex Master
Softimage Xsi: Texturing: varying UV repeats on texture
Hi, ive got one texture that has grass and edges of grass. i have mapped the points that are plain grass and the points that are the edges of the grass onto the relevent textures, but i need the ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by Imho
Softimage Xsi: Growing/Evolving
Hello, this is a more or less general post, not necessarily application-specific: In 3D, you commonly have geometry, meshes with quite fixed point counts and all the problems that brings. Yet, ...
last post on May 25, 2007 - by Bill Liu
3ds Max: V-ray rendering probl. - black artfacts
I am rendering an animated scene with Vray using GI with irradiance map. I am using mutiframe incremental and after few frames of render I get small black sharp areas popping here and there in the ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: My max exits while saving [Max5]
hi every one.i m havig a painfull problem....my max exit s while saving...this never hapened when i used max 3,4,4.2...but it's now a problem...i m unable to work..plzz ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: Leopord Head
heya, this is sort of like a leopord head cortoony head. Here it is, crits are welcomed, I did it poly ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by Fordicio
Softimage Xsi: import dotXSI in Softimage3.9
Hi everyone! I am new here! I have a question when I was exporting a simple character (with bones and weightings) to dotXSI in XSI, and then import it to softimage3.9, it works fine except all ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by Etnic Evil
Softimage Xsi: What's the modernode-based architecture mean
Hi there~ I am wondering what the "XSI has a modern node-based architecture that is modular and extensible." means in Funamental pdf. Anyideas? Thx! ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by NewTon
Softimage Xsi: Interoperability.
Have any of you tested Softimage XSI's ability to exchange AAF information with high-end compositing systems? I realise that Softimage and DS would be a proverbial match made in heaven, but how well ...
last post on May 24, 2007 - by Nikollas
3ds Max: question for visualboo
yes i got a little question regarding one of your Timelapse in one of them you buildup a Tube from scrath without extruding it to a path, im asking this because i tryed to reproduse that but i ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by QuaGo
3ds Max: vrml problem
hey guys I have a small problem with a vrml file, I have from Irix explorer. It stores a huge amount of 'dots' for me in a vrml file, and my problem is that when I import the file into 3ds max, ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Vertex Master
3ds Max: Why Render to Texture feature doesn't work with GI?
It crashes. I tried both LightTracer and ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by sperll
3ds Max: TabletPC's use Gestures for input much like Strokes
Isn't that kind of cool? I wonder if we'll see Max being implimented on TabletPC's anytime soon :). http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/using/howto/gestures.asp I just thought it was ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by CC
3ds Max: help with texture sampling
Hey there I need a little bit of help I'm not sure where I can turn this up so the spec highlights are more smooth if you take a look at the pic the spec just doesn't cut it. THanks for any ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: Question : Tutorial - Water
Hello guys, Can I find a tutorial which teaches me how to design a sea and and object getting out of the sea ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Charles Smith
3ds Max: i NEED TO MAKE THIS A DIFRENT FORMAT..
HI, http://3dcafe.com/models/chaoswarrior.zip THAT IS THIS mech i found on 3D cafe. i want to play around with it. but i dont use 3D max. could you make it to a ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Pusher
3ds Max: Extension
http://www.discreet.com/subscription/ The Design Extension consists of a robust set of tools for undertaking design visualization projects. Virtually all specialized design functionality included ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by drop007
3ds Max: Maxscript rotation woes...
Hey, I'm working with linking paramaters and maxscript expression controllers not for the first time, but im still fairly new at it. What I have is a "spine" object for a robot ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Zadrot
3ds Max: Max to Maya via FBX
Has anybody succesfully exported an animated Max IK and bones skeleton into the Filmbox file format for use in Maya. Is there an alternative/better way to do ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Murat
3ds Max: I need Help With UV Mapping
My school isn't moveing fast enought so I was hoping one of you guys could recommend a good book which covers UV mapping and general texturing undr max 4. ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by broodling
3ds Max: Spiral Door Tutorial
Hi, I remember seeing a spiral door tutorial for max somewhere but i can't seem to find it, has anyone else come across it or can recommend me to a good tutorial showing how to make a circular spiral ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: Adding a slice-modifier without unhiding hidden fac
have a little problem, I'm trying to attach a ear to a head (Box-modelling/Max 3.1) Well, attaching the ear isn't the problem, but I hide a lot of faces, but as soon as I add a slice-modifier to add ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by GreenCat
3ds Max: Bone copy for MAX4++
Hi all, is there any chance to get the bone copy script from http://www.scriptspot.com/start.htm but for max 4++ ?? or is there any trick to speed up the rigging process ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Natashka1954
3ds Max: Help:rig deforming texture
I'm fairly new to 3ds max and am having a problem with my texture changing after I rigged and weighted the model. At first glance it appears to be a uvw mapping problem but the map and texture hasn't ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Bill Liu
Softimage Xsi: Ao /ray Type Node
http://www.pbase.com/skyphyr/xsibaseandpage=3 ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Gina
Softimage Xsi: Rot. Limits Problem
I tried to set limits on the rotation on a toe control i made, but the rig gets distorted when i try to rotate it immediately after setting the rotation limits. An undo does not even revert it. ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: lost global scale help
hi im not sure what i pressed by i don't have the option of global scaling any objects anymore, does anyone know what to press to get it ...
last post on May 23, 2007 - by Imho
3ds Max: loop and remove script
Thought I would share my first maxscript, which I've now got setup as a hotkey, might be of use. First thanks to Visualboo for his ringconnect script, which isn't only useful but gave me a clue as ...
last post on May 22, 2007 - by GreenCat
3ds Max: Morph Targets controlled useing Manipulators
Set up multiple morph targets in Max 4, created some manipulators and wired them to control the targets, works fine Until I start to set some keyframes and slide forward and backward and forward ...
last post on May 22, 2007 - by Ted Town
3ds Max: Put your Max work online in true 3D
If you are looking for a easy way to share your 3D Studio Max / Autodesk Viz work with everyone on the internet, you should checkout TurnTool v2.0 www.turntool.com (http://www.turntool.com) ...
last post on May 22, 2007 - by ferroka
Softimage Xsi: subdivide and displace
i installed the addon and now what do i do to get it's property editor to pop up on an object. thanks phil ...
last post on May 22, 2007 - by kinoman
Softimage Xsi: toonshader - ink in reflection
Im currently working with the toonshader and now want to adjust the ink in the reflections. I have switched on the enable-button in "Modify Reflected Ink" and put Color and Alpha both to ...
last post on May 22, 2007 - by Gloski
3ds Max: MAX 5 Books...???
Hi All, Is there a 3D Studio MAX 5 'Bible' type book available yet??? If so, could you let me know the name/url/ISBN Cheers ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by Plumbum
3ds Max: Maxtreme that works in max 5
Can you check if the 4.00.13 works on quadro4 in max 5? Works for me, so I'm spreading the news. It's a link from a resurrected Elsa: ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/elsa/FILES/GRAPHICS/ELSAWARE/ I ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by TanusiaTC
3ds Max: Disable stopwatch in max 5
How do I disable that stopwatch cursor in max 5? really ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by Charles Smith
Softimage Xsi: a question about xsi's preset biped setting~~
i use biped guide commnad create a biped guide, then i scaled up my biped guide's null (local at the foot area), then i use rig from biped guide to get a biped bone from biped guide, but the new ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by Rod Sigler
Softimage Xsi: Deforming Lofts (XSI vs. Max)
Hi. I've been trying EXP for a few weeks. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to 3d modeling/animation programs, although in the past I've dabbled a bit with Max. While I like certain aspects of ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by Derek
Softimage Xsi: Clouds/Procedural animation question
**I also posted this on the XSIbase forum, so I apologize if you're reading this twice. I am trying to create an effect in which smoky or wispy clouds "morph" into the shape of various ...
last post on May 21, 2007 - by Hulk
3ds Max: weighting with GROW
Hello everybody! I've been thinking about a question and i need your comments. colud you weight a character using a method with GROW selection? this way, you could weight easily vertex from ...
last post on May 15, 2007 - by Andyba
Softimage Xsi: Ghost models?
Can someone tell me what the case is with Ghost models? On the project im working on now...every so often, i get an error telling me that ghost models should not exist in my scene? I do have normal ...
last post on May 15, 2007 - by Andyba
3ds Max: script to convert IK to FK keys?
Hi... does anyone know of a script for Max 5 that can convert the IK keys into FK keys set on the actual leg ...
last post on May 04, 2007 - by Plumbum
Softimage Xsi: vortex force question
After applying a vortex force to a simple particle emitter, the particles, instead of vortexing, shoot of the screen at high speeds in apparently random directions. Adjusting the vortex amplitude ...
last post on May 03, 2007 - by PolyGru
Softimage Xsi: fluids
I'm making a fluid simulation, and I can not found how I can stop the emision on the fluid. In the manual I see that is the "rate" parameter, but I change the value to 0, and the simulation ...
last post on May 02, 2007 - by Collar
3ds Max: skinning tutorials
i am trying to ckin a model but it seems i need more knowlegde about it i know most of things about skin or phisique i need tips and tricks do's or dont's can you give some links to tutorials ...
last post on April 20, 2007 - by Collar
Softimage Xsi: Texture is moving with vertex
How do I stop the texture from deforming with the vertices? I want to move the geometry around and have the texture stay where it is. Im using XSI 3.0; I haven't frozen the projection, but it ...
last post on April 20, 2007 - by Vagon
Softimage Xsi: Audio Scrubbing ???
Hey all. This may make me sound like a newb but I cant get my audio clip to scrub or even work at all. I draged a .wav file into my scene and put the clip into the animation mixer then scrubbed ...
last post on April 20, 2007 - by Skubbyl
Softimage Xsi: xsi3.0:add marker on a range of frames?
hi! this is fundamental but i can't find a solution :hmm: : in xsi 2.5 i could select a range of frames on a clip and add a marker on a clip or even on a track.. now in xsi 3.0 i cannot do ...
last post on April 19, 2007 - by Carlos Fillion
3ds Max: Skinning...using the Vertex Weight Table in max5
First of all let me say that I despise skinning a character in max. I have a newfound respect for Character TD's and wish that I had one of my very own to solve all of my character-building ...
last post on April 18, 2007 - by Zadrot
3ds Max: Refining Character Animation
I've resently gotten back into 3D animation and been working on some character animation to be more specific. I've read through Keith Lango's "Pose to Pose Pop-Through Animation Article" ...
last post on April 18, 2007 - by Derek
Softimage Xsi: Scaling Enveloped Objects problem help!!
I have this problem that when i try to change the scaling of any enveloped object by branch selecting the whole hieracchy, the object will go back to its' original scaling, despite the fact i added a ...
last post on April 18, 2007 - by indico
Softimage Xsi: Default XSI rig....Help?
Hi y'all, this is the first time i used the Default XSI Footroll rig for anything. I really like it, it's got everything set up already with Synoptic View, Custom Parameters, and generic poses all ...
last post on April 18, 2007 - by Gloski
Softimage Xsi: XSI book manual
HI i have one question. Is some XSI user witch live near Czech republic? Im interrested about XSI manual (i have PDF, but in interrested in book). Can enyone who live near CR borrow my this book? ...
last post on April 18, 2007 - by Montana
Softimage Xsi: enveloppe and shape deformations ?
Hi, I've just finished envelopping my character around its skeleton, I tried to adjust as best as possible the weighting I now I need to create better deformation at articulations like knees and ...
last post on April 17, 2007 - by Ted Town
Softimage Xsi: Reusing old Particle-Events
Hello again, I am toying around with particles and want to evaluate different types of particles (billboards, sprites, spheres, etc.) and want just to substitute these new particle creations for ...
last post on April 17, 2007 - by euGeniu
3ds Max: gmax
is there any way, any way at all, to somehow get gmax files from gmax into another program, be it a rendering program, another modeller, something like ...
last post on April 13, 2007 - by Frank Tinoco
3ds Max: Function Curve Diet
A cosmetic desire for sure, but is it just me or would anybody else like to see the old slim and trim-looking function curves? In Max 5, they look like snakes with thyroid issues.... They're ...
last post on April 13, 2007 - by Axan
Softimage Xsi: Razor Blade for spear help
Hey guys....im new to XSI and CGtalk....im tryin to make a spear like what you see in Soul Calibur 2 if any of you have played that...or Onimusha or something like that....Ive finished the modeling ...
last post on April 13, 2007 - by Robbie Zhang
Softimage Xsi: animation problem
Hi guys, I've posted a problem at xsibase.com and uploaded a scene file which have problem. if you have some free time, could you check it and give me some advice ?? here is the original ...
last post on April 13, 2007 - by QuaGo
3ds Max: Spaceball dream
Ealier this year I got really interested in the Idea of using a "spaceball" for navigating the max viewports. It could be really helpfull for modelling and maby even free you up to use ...
last post on April 12, 2007 - by Viggo Hoskins
Softimage Xsi: experience with syflex for xsi?
Greetings ! Does anyone have experience with syflex for xsi? What about it's options compare to the maya version? Does it have any limitations or is it less (or more) flexible? I couldn't read ...
last post on April 12, 2007 - by Pyata
3ds Max: resetting KEYLESS WIRED CURVES in track view?
after wiring an object's rotation to another's, i get keyless curves in track view. i delete the controlling object's keys but the keyless rotation curves of the controlled object remain. how do i ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by PolyGru
3ds Max: How Automatically Select Local Rotation?
im rigging a character and use those rotator splines to control the bones, and i want max to automatically switch to local rotation mode and lock it at that mode whenever the rotator object is ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by Designer
Softimage Xsi: can I plot the key to model (not to object)
I found I can plot key to animated object..... but when I made the object became a model I can't plot it and I also found I cant plot key to a "model" I created.... how to ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by euGeniu
Softimage Xsi: a few questions to Linux XSI users
Just wondering how easy XSI EXP installation was on Linux and what kind (if there are any) of problems are you getting? And also, can anyone link me to the download address of XSI EXP for Linux. ...
last post on April 11, 2007 - by Vertox