3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Modelling a car in RaySupreme

Posted: June 07, 2013
poly2poly
Here's a video I created to show how to setup reference images. If you get "blueprints" that are not equal size or don't line up properly, a box could be useful for aligning and sizing the side, front, top images. Once you get the wheelbase dimensions, size up the side view to match it using a simple box. Then use the box as a "measuring tool" to approximate the side and top , front view. Scale the image for the top and front view to match the box which is based on the side view image dimensions. They should line up better afterwards.

Posted: June 07, 2013
poly2poly
Getting the basic shape.

Posted: June 10, 2013
poly2poly
Some progress

Posted: June 19, 2013
poly2poly

I begin to split the parts so we can have the car body lines similar to real life. Selecting and detaching from the main body mesh.

Posted: June 24, 2013
poly2poly
Heres next update. Trying to follow as much of the body lines and then cutting those parts or separating them. The blueprints are not perfect and will not align perfect so we just try our best to match it and look at reference materials.

Posted: June 25, 2013
poly2poly
On the latter part of the videos I am adding “thickness” to the car. Just extending the edges to have thickness without having to use the shell tool which could add extra polys that won’t be seen anyway.

Posted: June 30, 2013
poly2poly
Extruding edges and welding points

Posted: July 01, 2013
poly2poly
Creating the doors and windows. Using shell tool to create real thickness(incase doors open) but adding only a small value in shell tool then moving it manually. Currently shell tool is always using normals so the shape changes a lot with high value. So just use small value in shell tool.

Posted: July 11, 2013
poly2poly
Doing the side door detail

#at=26a
Posted: July 18, 2013
silkroadgame
Excellent!Very impressing for me.
Posted: July 30, 2013
poly2poly
Here’s an update.

Posted: August 01, 2013
poly2poly
Working on the back of the car

Posted: August 04, 2013
poly2poly
Update. windows and detailing

Posted: August 11, 2013
poly2poly
Detailing the rear bumper area

Posted: August 11, 2013
poly2poly
Creating the wheels and tire - this method I did RS didn't have an array tool yet but yesterday I got build with array tool.

Posted: August 15, 2013
poly2poly
Continuing the wheel and tires.

Posted: August 17, 2013
poly2poly
If anyone is using a Mac. They're running a limited time discount of Raysupreme at https://deals.macupdate.com/
Just thought I should pass it along.
Posted: August 20, 2013
poly2poly
Here's a test render.
Posted: September 05, 2013
poly2poly
They added a new feature in rs which is pretty cool! We can integrate 3d models in photos and plates for compositing. So for testing I created a 3d text, added a bg image, added a simple poly to be the shadow catcher. Since rs is nodal based architecture we can plug a noise texture into the bump channel of the material node to get the bumpy shore effect. Reflection is also supported by the shadow catcher. Really cool!

I will try to render the pajero with hdr and bg image.
Posted: September 11, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
Hi poly2poly,
I can see that you have done a lot of work creating all these videos.
Judging by the number of views on youtube, and my subjective impressions you are not very successful.

So here are some tips:
1. Add voice narration to your videos, this is very important without it I simply do not understand what your are doing. And I am an experienced 3d artist.

2. Make the pace of the videos much faster, instead of 5 minutes it should be 1 minute. People don't have time to watch how you do things slowly.
The video should be slow enough to fit the voice narration and show clearly the concept but not slower, in general it should be time-lapsed.

3. Unite multiple videos in one, cut the unnecessary parts.

4. If you are typing something, zoom in for people to see.

5. Use a powerful computer to record overwise it looks like the application RaySupreme is laggy, and nobody wants to watch a tutorial of a laggy 3d application.

6. Add detailed descriptions on youtube.
Posted: September 25, 2013
poly2poly
Thanks Andyba. The video is not intended to be anything more than what it is. Its just a project I wanted to capture that maybe rs user will get some insight what's possible to do in the software. Maybe someone will do an official tutorial for raysupreme though. Very Happy

The devs added a bunch of stuff that are really good features for a v1.
Some of my favorites

-Compositing node. Using image background and a shadow and reflection catcher to integrate 3dmodels into a scene. Very useful for design viz.

-Obj import. This feature will be updated further but it supports proper scale and different materials and textures now.

-Nodal based array tool. Being RS is a node based architecture, this is one of the first tool to benefit from non-destructive nodal approach.

You can vote for more features here.
http://www.braindistrict.com/en/raysupreme

Also of interest is IFX supreme. Needs some feedback to be an alternative to filter forge, etc. You can chime in request and questions in the forums.