3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

A Question About 3D Modeling Programs

Posted: March 30, 2013
Blue Leader
Greetings,

This may be a bit of a strange question, and there may not be anything like this at all, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've been fiddling around with various 3D modeling programs for a while now, and despite having almost two years of classes on Maya, I still can't make a decent 3D model to save my life.

Still, there's a project I've been trying to work on for two or three years now, and though I keep trying to wrap my head around 3D modeling, it's just something I'm really struggling with. However, the things that I'm trying to model don't look extremely complicated, so I was wondering if there was some sort of program that might let me "sketch" out a model, so to speak.

I've attached an example of one of the things that I'm trying to model. Though my model wont be that detailed, I'm just trying to get the basic shape of it. My model wont have the wires and other details.

Is there some sort of program, perhaps, that might let me load up a picture of one side of that helmet and sort of "sketch" around the edges of it, making an outline of it? I imagine, kind of, something like the line tool in Photoshop, and using something like that to "draw" a line from one point to the next, drawing these lines around the edge of the helmet image (which is being used for reference) to create the basic shape of one side. I could load up a picture of the left side of the helmet, for instance, and plot those lines around the edge to make the basic shape. Then I might load up a picture of of the back of the helmet and continue to "draw" out these lines. Load the top image of the helmet, repeat, and do this for every angle until I have the basic shape. Lines could be repositioned and what-not to define the shape once it is "sketched out".

Does such a program exist? Or something similar? And something that isn't extremely complicated? I don't need a program that does a lot of fancy things, if I could create a very basic model and export it I'd be happy.

It may be a long shot, I know, but I'll never know unless I ask, right?

I've tried programs such as Maya (which I don't remember much of), Cinema 4D, 3DSOM, EasyToy, Sculptris, SketchUp, and Shape Magic. I haven't really had much luck with any of them. SketchUp was the closest to havingi something like this, but it wasn't really the same thing, and I couldn't get any results from it. It wouldn't allow me to "draw" around the picture and then pull it into a 3D space, though I'm not quite sure why.

helmet3.jpg
Posted: April 25, 2013
3d artist gallery Andyba
Do you mean something like this?