3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Mixing programs zbrush - maya - 3ds

Posted: December 14, 2011
Toorima
**I hope this is the right section to post**

Hello, I am trying to get back into 3d animation, I used lightwave for a few years in high school and became very good with the program.

I am now moving on from lightwave, I want to advance and get better as an artist. So here is my problem, hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

I have been looking into zbrush for awhile now and I love the work that can come out of it, I am wondering how I go about using zbrush and incorporating it with future projects.

This is the way I think it works but I'm having trouble getting started

If I want to make something with amazing textures first I;
- Rig a model in maya or 3ds (anything to get a .obj)
- import into zbrush and go to hell on the model, texture, color, details.. all the fun stuff
- save as a UV map and import back to maya or 3ds
- Apply map
- ???
- profit

This is the basic guide I came across, that doesn't really make sense to me, it was explained as though when you do additions in zbrush and apply the map you will get nearly the same quality with lower poly count, but I can't help but thinking everything would be flat once the map is applied....

now then I hope someone understands what I mean, or can point me into the right direction, that would be amazing!!
Posted: February 12, 2012
oknplm
Make sure when you're modeling that you start low poly then move your way up in detail. If you're modeling, you have to have a tablet. zbrush and photoshop demand it if you want to make good textures. Youtube unwrapping tutorials because from zbrush to maya, its easy to get your normals all messed up.