3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

"Fleshing" out wires

Posted: July 11, 2011
knectar2
I've done quite a bit of fairly advanced modeling using Rhino.

The process for building out these shapes is fairly time intensive, requiring a whole slew of methods, including boolean intersections, trims, joins, and so on.

I'm wondering if creating these kinds of solids can be done in a more streamlined, or "organic" way with 3D modeling software (other than Rhino, or within Rhino for that matter).

What I'm imagining is a function that essentially "fleshes" out a curve, or set of curves or vectors, and builds up the set of lines into a kind of bone (flesh?) mass.

I'm clearly lacking the right term! But I wonder if anyone has a sense of where I'm headed..

Thanks much in advance.

Chris
Posted: July 12, 2011
baalnazzar
If I understand what you mean then 3ds is doing it. You draw simple splines and then you may create mesh around it with one click. Of course you may control splines to animate it. Simply way to create simple tentacles Wink Sometimes I use script Wire Bundler. Really helpful if you need to create many twisted wires quickly. I know that Rhino has some modeling limitations. Studio I cooperate with use Rhino and they often sends me some works they can't do.