3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Research Project Help

Posted: February 04, 2010
Otterfield
For my english class this semester I am supposed to fieldwork (research) a topic for the next three months. I wanted to do my project on cartoon/computer animation. I want to delve deep into the culture of animators. I have been told that the software to create my own 3D movie is expensive. I was wondering if any of you could help me understand the animation world as well as help me find a software that will help me create a movie and help me have a better understanding of the culture.
If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.
Posted: February 04, 2010
Otterfield
Please Help! Thanks Smile
Posted: March 18, 2010
Otterfield,

I believe the reason you are not or did not receive a response to your question is because Animation an get really deep. I mean think about it, your research would need to first start with 2D animation, the world Walt Disney and Warner Brothers. When you dig a little deeper you will find out there are process and principles of animation to follow as an animator.

It wasn't until Pixar showed up with Toy Story, and a few game production houses came out with some outstanding story/model/textures/animations that the 3D world really hit the ground running. You see 2D animation is the foundation, understanding that world comes first before you talk about 3D. Oh, also traditional art, anatomy, physics, etc play a big part too. Just me writing these 2 paragraphs barely scratches the surface, though I can suggest two books which is a HUGE part of 3D even though its all about 2D the principles still apply, look below:

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
Richard Williams
"The Animator's Survival Kit"

Now as for 3D there are processes being taught in some schools, the one I follow is listed below:

Pre_Production
Modeling
Texturing
Rigging
Lighting and Cameras
Animation
Post_Production

Now I am not going to go into full detail the names talk for themselves and if not try typing some in Google you can find answers there. Now, you mention making your own 3D movie/short, that can take some time though it is doable, but not in the amount of time you have left unless you just want objects with flat materials simply linked together to move around, then yeah it's possible, but then you have the software to learn, a bit of a task.

Software:
3DS Max *expensive* 30 day free trial
Blender *free*

Hope this answers some of your questions. There is a huge resource out there called the Internet, use it and good luck.