3d forums home Resources for 3d artists

Newb! starting point suggestions ??

Posted: November 15, 2009
Wolfskin75
I am looking to start modeling. I have a good background in graphics ( photoshop) and I am a Photographer. I tried DaZ and I must be doing something wrong cause it's not working. ( don't worry, I am over it.)

I am looking for a program for beginners that is hopefully free, has some features you play around with and maybe even a couple different models to play with. Any help would be great and any other advice you would able to give to me I would be so happy.
Posted: February 19, 2010
andrewbell
Poser is pretty good for a beginner, it is figure work (moving arms, legs etc, animating).
Posted: March 18, 2010
If you are looking to Model > Rig > Animate and seeking free software try Blender.

Autodesk supplies 30 day free trial offers: 3DS Max and Maya both professional grade. 3DS Max is pretty simple to pick up on using tutorials and its help file. As a beginner stay away from Maya unless you want your head to explode.

I've never played with Poser, but it looks simple enough.

My suggestion, play with Blender. An artist can be taught how to use the basics of any software within 1 to 2 weeks, but its the artist that makes the models come to life.

Once you feel comfortable with Blender try out 3DS Max, more of a model tool in my opinion. And if you dare, explore the wonders of Maya, strong animation software. I'm no pro yet so maybe other people on this forum can suggest something.

Hope this helps.
Posted: July 28, 2010
sancheuz
If you are looking to start modelling, then jump right into 3ds Max... Great program!
Posted: August 31, 2010
bryan
I would have the same suggestion with 3ds Max for beginners. Other forums and even in other websites, they also recommend 3ds Max for it is user friendly and easy to learn. Try it Wolfskin75 Smile

Best of Luck!
3ds max is great but I'd suggest try Zbrush too.
If you are looking for a free soft then Blender is really good but it has specific interface and shortcuts (damn ctrl+X instead of delete) and I know people who have problems to jump from it to 3ds or any other soft of this sort. You can also try simplier free programs like Wings 3D or even Sculptris. Sculptris is kind of toy I'd say but playing with it gives lot of fun and it won't be a waste of time but that's just my opinion Smile